[SOLVED] Can processors compatible with PLGA775 and LGA775 fit to the same motherboard?

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
My father's old desktop computer shows thin grey horizontal lines across his screen. When he plugs this monitor into another computer, the lines don't appear. I assume it is a problem with the graphics/video driver in the microprocessor's iGPU (integrated graphics processing unit). The only PCI or PCIE card in the computer look like an Ethernet card so there should be no graphics card in the computer. I want to help my father install a compatible microprocessor that does not show the horizontal lines on screen. I downloaded CPU-Z into the computer. CPU-Z showed the information found in the next paragraph.

My father's computer has an "Intel Pentium D 805" with the code name "SmithField" and uses the package (I assume it meant socket) "Socket 775 LGA". The "Mainboard" tab showed that the motherboard is an ASRock G31M-S with the Intel P35/G33/G31 chipset (Rev. 10) and the "Southbridge" is Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) with Rev. A1. The computer uses a single 1 GB DDR2 RAM stick; Kingmax Semiconductor KLCD48F-B8KB5 PC2-5300 (333 MHz).

When I visited an ASRock website (https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-S/#CPU) to check the motherboard's support, the Intel Pentium D 805 was not in its CPU support list. Microprocessors that use either the PLGA775 or the LGA775 socket did appear in the motherboard's CPU support list. The Intel Pentium D 805 uses the PLGA775 socket according to an Intel website (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...cessor-805-2m-cache-2-66-ghz-533-mhz-fsb.html).

Are PLGA775 and LGA775 sockets the same thing? Can microprocessors that are compatible with the LGA775 socket or microprocessors that are compatible with the PLGA775 socket work on the same motherboard?

Solution
The P isn't a different socket, it's a reference to the plastic involved in the chip. So they ought to be interchangeable, assuming the motherboard supports.

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Alright so are PLGA775 and LGA775 sockets the same thing? Can microprocessors that are compatible with the LGA775 socket or microprocessors that are compatible with the PLGA775 socket work on the same motherboard?

not sure, i think that they are, but changing the CPU cannot solve your problem as the CPU has no graphical capability at all. You'd have to change the mobo with the pain that causes, or get a cheap GPU that works with which ever version of windows you have.

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Thank you 13thmonkey for correcting my mistake about the iGPU. Thank you DSzymborski for the information about PLGA775 and LGA775. Alright so I guess I can rely on the motherboard website's CPU support list to pick another microprocessor. I have found some microprocessors compatible with my motherboard that costs under MYR 40 (approximately USD 9.55) if they have two cores or they can cost above MYR 100 (approximately USD 23.89) for some of them that had four cores. Motherboard prices vary a lot but I have seen G31 motherboards that sell for under MYR 90 (approximately USD 21.50). Some cheaper microprocessors or motherboards are used. Some microprocessors or motherboards ship from China so they may take more than a month to reach my home (no need to rush, I already built a new computer with an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and 8 GB of RAM for my father).

My father only does office work (no video editing or rendering, just light tasks such as spreadsheet). It also seems like my parents do not want to spend above MYR 200 (approximately USD 47.77) on any upgrades. Regarding the problem of horizontal lines appearing on my father's screen, should I replace the motherboard, replace the microprocessor, or update some software?