Jul 12, 2021
Hi,

About a week ago I reset windows because I wanted to clear out some files and to just start fresh with no programs or anything. I like to do this once every few years, and the times I've done it before (all times were with the same hardware), it worked completely fine.

However this time, ever since I reset windows, my computer has been freezing up, not responding, and programs will crash. I thought it was a RAM problem (because the Windows Memory Diagnostic told me I had hardware problems) so I installed a different RAM kit but the problem still persists even though the diagnostic now says I have no hardware problems. Firstly, I want to ask if resetting Windows can mess up hardware because I'm worried if resetting my Windows messed up something else.

Secondly, I also want to ask for the next steps I should take in trying to solve this issue. Currently, I've checked for corrupt files, updated Windows, reinstalled all correct drivers, ran Windows in a clean boot, replaced my RAM, and reset Windows on my SSD for a second time but the issue still persists.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Solution
ran Windows in a clean boot
instead of choosing to Reset you should just do a wipe & fresh install each time.
i see more and more threads every week all over about people having similar issues.
whether it's caused by left over data\incomplete files being left behind and conflicting, etc who knows.

if you haven't yet, just totally wipe the drive now and install the latest package from Microsoft.

reinstalled all correct drivers
you mean you have downloaded all of the latest drivers & utilities from the motherboard manufacturer's support page?
ran Windows in a clean boot
instead of choosing to Reset you should just do a wipe & fresh install each time.
i see more and more threads every week all over about people having similar issues.
whether it's caused by left over data\incomplete files being left behind and conflicting, etc who knows.

if you haven't yet, just totally wipe the drive now and install the latest package from Microsoft.

reinstalled all correct drivers
you mean you have downloaded all of the latest drivers & utilities from the motherboard manufacturer's support page?

Solution

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi,

About a week ago I reset windows because I wanted to clear out some files and to just start fresh with no programs or anything. I like to do this once every few years, and the times I've done it before (all times were with the same hardware), it worked completely fine.

However this time, ever since I reset windows, my computer has been freezing up, not responding, and programs will crash. I thought it was a RAM problem (because the Windows Memory Diagnostic told me I had hardware problems) so I installed a different RAM kit but the problem still persists even though the diagnostic now says I have no hardware problems. Firstly, I want to ask if resetting Windows can mess up hardware because I'm worried if resetting my Windows messed up something else.

Secondly, I also want to ask for the next steps I should take in trying to solve this issue. Currently, I've checked for corrupt files, updated Windows, reinstalled all correct drivers, ran Windows in a clean boot, replaced my RAM, and reset Windows on my SSD for a second time but the issue still persists.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Whenever I try to reset certain Windows 10 computers through the Settings app, it almost always fails. If it succeeds (after a few hours), the system still has leftover software and files. It’s best to do a fresh install of Windows 10 to make sure it is 100% wiped.

Jul 12, 2021

How would I go about wiping it? Do I just go into settings and click "Remove Everything"?