Question Can someone help me with Nvidia application profiles?

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
I am trying to run an emulator at the best possible performance, specifically dolphin 5.0 for gamecube and wii games on my desktop computer.
I have an AMD A8 Trinity quad core, which i believe is 3.2Ghz, 16GB ram, and an Nvidia GTX 750 TI and im running Ubuntu 18.04.
When i first installed dolphin and tried playing games it was pretty laggy and i was trying to figure out why. I was able to resolve alot of the lag by changing some settings in the Nvidie X server settings. Specifically i changed the OpenGL settings slide bar. I set it to high performance. And i also went to the PowerMizer tab and changed the preferred mode to prefer maximum performance. Changing these settings actually helped alot already and i may not be able to do better. After changing the settings i was monitoring my GPU and CPU to see how much resources were being used while i was playing a game in the emulator. My game still lags a little bit so i was looking into other ways to further increase performance.
Can i increase performance further by using the application profiles for my emulator? And if i can, can someone explain to me what the profiles mean or point me to the documentation where i can read about it? Ive been looking around on google and im sure its out there somewhere but i cant find exactly what im looking for. When i open the application profiles i can see a drop down of items in a list that say GLFSAAMODE, GLSingleThreaded, GLThreadedOptimizations, and several others. I think I know how to make the profile but i dont understand what any of these things do. Are there certain ones to set to increase an applications performance? I dont want to be setting the wrong ones and mess something up.

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Get the best drivers for the gpu
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how-to-install-latest-nvidia-drivers-in-linux

How high was CPU usage getting to? Dolphin is quite CPU heavy, and your CPU isnt very good.

CPU usage was around 50 - 60%
I did get the updated drivers installed. Ubuntu had version 390 installed and i updated to version 418. I went and reset the settings i mentioned previously. Game is still kinda laggy. When i say that i mean sometimes it runs below 100%, the sound gets garbled and the text gets unreadable. But this doesnt happen all the time. Just sometimes. On and off throughout gameplay, frequently enough to be annoying.
So i have this other computer in my garage that has an Intel Core i7 920 / 2.66 GHz, would that be better than my A8? I could swap all my hardware into the i7 if that one would run better.

Last edited: