Question Can someone suggest a router with both DSL and WAN ports, possibly VPN support?

Jacopo_4

Reputable
Jul 19, 2017
I am currently using a Vodafone UK DSL router, but I would like to have my own; I might also switch to Virgin or fiber in the future, so I would need a router that has both a DSL and a WAN port; optionally, but not strictly necessary, I would like to have a router that supports VPN as a client (for bypassing some geographical restriction on my Apple TV mostly).
I have seen the TP Link VR2100 that seems to have both DSL and WAN ports, but no VPN...

You are going to be limited in your choice with the DSL. You might consider 2 routers a very cheap dsl router you use only as modem and then a more advanced router that has the vpn.

VPN put a lot of burden on the router CPU so it will limit your speed to 20-30mbps. This may not be a problem if your dsl is not faster.

I am unsure but asus in general has the same software on all their routers. It includes a VPN client mode. You would have to check if their other dsl routers also have the vpn but I know the ac-68u model has it.

Reactions: SamirD

Jacopo_4

Reputable
Jul 19, 2017
You are going to be limited in your choice with the DSL. You might consider 2 routers a very cheap dsl router you use only as modem and then a more advanced router that has the vpn.

VPN put a lot of burden on the router CPU so it will limit your speed to 20-30mbps. This may not be a problem if your dsl is not faster.

I am unsure but asus in general has the same software on all their routers. It includes a VPN client mode. You would have to check if their other dsl routers also have the vpn but I know the ac-68u model has it.
Thanks, I have tried using the Vodafone router as a modem only (it didn't have a "modem only" option) by connecting it to the WAN port of a better router; it works but I think I was double NAT and port forwarding was impossible
Are there cheap DSL modem-router that can be set up in modem only mode?

Thanks, I have tried using the Vodafone router as a modem only (it didn't have a "modem only" option) by connecting it to the WAN port of a better router; it works but I think I was double NAT and port forwarding was impossible
Are there cheap DSL modem-router that can be set up in modem only mode?
The other thing to get around double nat is put your second router in the DMZ of the first.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS