Question Can the Asus Prime x370-A handle a Ryzen 5800X3D ?

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I've had my mind set on upgrading my Ryzen 5700X to a 5800X3D, but I'm wondering if my Asus Prime x370-A motherboard can handle it? It is listed as compatible on the Asus website, but I have read in the past that the VRM is terrible and can't handle CPUs over 105 watts very well.

Should this stop me from upgrading? The airflow in my Rosewill Thor V2 case is pretty good.

I've had my mind set on upgrading my 5700x to a 5800x3d, but I'm wondering if my Asus Prime x370-A motherboard can handle it. It is listed as compatible on the Asus website, but have read in the past the VRM is terrible and can't handle CPUs over 105 watts very well.

Should this stop me from upgrading? The airflow in my case (Rosewill Thor V2) is pretty good.
It would work but problem is x3D, None of MB manufacturers with 300 and small number of 400 series chipset updated BIOS to make full use of x3D features, 300 series also have problem with high speed RAM necessary to keep up with extra cache. In other words, 5800x3D would be waste of money, it's essentially 5700x with some extra cache you will not be able to use in full extent so VRM is not a problem.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
It would work but problem is x3D, None of MB manufacturers with 300 and small number of 400 series chipset updated BIOS to make full use of x3D features, 300 series also have problem with high speed RAM necessary to keep up with extra cache. In other words, 5800x3D would be waste of money, it's essentially 5700x with some extra cache you will not be able to use in full extent so VRM is not a problem.
Interesting. Thank you for the response. Can you point me in the direction to where you learned this? I can't find anything about it. All I see is a bunch of people saying how great of a boost they got.