[SOLVED] Can this product be used as thermal paste?

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
Hello people of Tom's hardware!
I'm expecting a delivery of a CPU soon, so I will need thermal paste. I have my hands on a 25g tube of something called: "Servisol(TM) heat sink compound". It says: "Thermally conductive silicone grease for insulation and protection of electrical components" on it, nothing about CPUs specifically.

I will get proper thermal paste in the following weeks, until then, will this suffice? is this safe?
s-l1600.jpg

Solution
What CPU are you planning to install? Is it new and does it ship with a CPU cooler (if so, it will come with thermal compound pre-applied)?

By the way, yes, it should work.
It's MSDS offers that the primary component by weight is zinc oxide which sounds like it will be similar to Dow Corning 340 compound. DC 340 is one of the original thermal interface material formulations and still makes a fair showing when included in comparative reviews against modern TIM's.

It does tend to dry out, though, and when it does performance plummets if you disturb the heatsink positioning, something to keep in mind. Otherwise it should be fine and assuredly non-conductive with 'low metallic impurity content' right on the label![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

noonoo300

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
What CPU are you planning to install? Is it new and does it ship with a CPU cooler (if so, it will come with thermal compound pre-applied)?

By the way, yes, it should work.

Thank you for your reply!
I'm planning to install an i5-9600KF, and there were some complications with the order of the CPU cooler. So I will use my current cooler (for that I will have to apply the thermal compound), then probably clean it off and reapply with a proper one when the cooler arrives. So the silicone based compound shouldn't be a problem for like a week or so?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thank you for your reply!
I'm planning to install an i5-9600KF, and there were some complications with the order of the CPU cooler. So I will use my current cooler (for that I will have to apply the thermal compound), then probably clean it off and reapply with a proper one when the cooler arrives. So the silicone based compound shouldn't be a problem for like a week or so?
Should be fine as previously noted. Seems lots of folks use the same way. Found lots of products reviews to confirm.

Reactions: noonoo300