Can TR-3 be completly installed on HD ?

Quick question - can TR-3 be completely installed on a hard drive and if so,
how ? I did the normal install on my kids machine running Win 98 but it
runs slower than molasses. The machine seems ok, plenty of HD space, it's
been defragged, 2 MB graphics card, etc. Other games and programs seem to
run ok but TR-3 like runs in slow motion. I'm wondering if it's the CD
drive and maybe by installing it all on the HD, it might improve the speed.
Also the load time takes forever.
Thanks,
WaltinVt

You should check for a game patch. I remember one running very slow
until I patch it. (I had W98, a P1-233MMX CPU and a 16meg VooDoo 2
graphics card then)
Mike

Walt Mather wrote:
> Quick question - can TR-3 be completely installed on a hard drive and
> if so, how ? I did the normal install on my kids machine running Win
> 98 but it runs slower than molasses. The machine seems ok, plenty
> of HD space, it's been defragged, 2 MB graphics card, etc. Other
> games and programs seem to run ok but TR-3 like runs in slow motion.
> I'm wondering if it's the CD drive and maybe by installing it all on
> the HD, it might improve the speed. Also the load time takes forever.
> Thanks,
> WaltinVt

I don't think that's it. I think it's the 2 meg graphics card. But you
haven't mentioned some other important machine specs like what CPU and
speed is it, how much system ram is installed. All of these things you
and I've mentioned will affect gamespeed. But the game running from the
CD isn't likely to cause what you're seeing.
McG.

> Walt Mather wrote:
> > Quick question - can TR-3 be completely installed on a hard drive and
> > if so, how ? I did the normal install on my kids machine running Win
> > 98 but it runs slower than molasses. The machine seems ok, plenty
> > of HD space, it's been defragged, 2 MB graphics card, etc. Other
> > games and programs seem to run ok but TR-3 like runs in slow motion.
> > I'm wondering if it's the CD drive and maybe by installing it all on
> > the HD, it might improve the speed. Also the load time takes forever.
> > Thanks,
> > WaltinVt
>
> I don't think that's it. I think it's the 2 meg graphics card. But you
> haven't mentioned some other important machine specs like what CPU and
> speed is it, how much system ram is installed. All of these things you
> and I've mentioned will affect gamespeed. But the game running from the
> CD isn't likely to cause what you're seeing.
> McG.

I agree. Even on the most limited, basic, bare requirements machine the game
should run ok, and CD speed should not affect it. Most games, even new ones,
but certainly a game of the time of TR3 will run on a CD drive of 4x with no
problems.

Once again, I wholeheartedly agree with McG regarding your graphics card.
2MB won't cut it.

Generally, if something isn't working because of a slow CD speed/ drive, it
will manifest itself in a sort of pause and jerk sympton. The entire process
will halt for a few seconds, you'll hear your CD drive tick a few times,
then the process will continue. If it's just jerky or slow, it isn't the CD
drive.

You're probably right about the graphics card being the bottle neck. This
computer is an old Pentium I (200 I think) that I picked up for my younger
kids to play Dos games on (you remember Dos - right :))

It's running Win 98 and has like a 3 Gb HD which is only 1/4 full. I can't
remember how much system ram it has (can't check right now cuz it's in the
kids bedroom and they're still sleeping) but I know most of the other games
they run don't have a problem. I guess I didn't think of TR-3 as being that
demanding on computer resources compared to some of the games we run today.

WaltinVt

> Walt Mather wrote:
> > Quick question - can TR-3 be completely installed on a hard drive and
> > if so, how ? I did the normal install on my kids machine running Win
> > 98 but it runs slower than molasses. The machine seems ok, plenty
> > of HD space, it's been defragged, 2 MB graphics card, etc. Other
> > games and programs seem to run ok but TR-3 like runs in slow motion.
> > I'm wondering if it's the CD drive and maybe by installing it all on
> > the HD, it might improve the speed. Also the load time takes forever.
> > Thanks,
> > WaltinVt
>
> I don't think that's it. I think it's the 2 meg graphics card. But you
> haven't mentioned some other important machine specs like what CPU and
> speed is it, how much system ram is installed. All of these things you
> and I've mentioned will affect gamespeed. But the game running from the
> CD isn't likely to cause what you're seeing.
> McG.

Well, at least it has PCI slots, and you can get a decent video card
with 8 to 32 megs vid ram for pretty cheap that will run accelerated in
Windows, which is what TR3 needs.
McG.

Walt Mather wrote:
> You're probably right about the graphics card being the bottle neck.
> This computer is an old Pentium I (200 I think) that I picked up for
> my younger kids to play Dos games on (you remember Dos - right :))
>
> It's running Win 98 and has like a 3 Gb HD which is only 1/4 full. I
> can't remember how much system ram it has (can't check right now cuz
> it's in the kids bedroom and they're still sleeping) but I know most
> of the other games they run don't have a problem. I guess I didn't
> think of TR-3 as being that demanding on computer resources compared
> to some of the games we run today.
>
> WaltinVt

>> Walt Mather wrote:
>>> Quick question - can TR-3 be completely installed on a hard drive
>>> and if so, how ? I did the normal install on my kids machine
>>> running Win 98 but it runs slower than molasses. The machine seems
>>> ok, plenty of HD space, it's been defragged, 2 MB graphics card,
>>> etc. Other games and programs seem to run ok but TR-3 like runs in
>>> slow motion. I'm wondering if it's the CD drive and maybe by
>>> installing it all on the HD, it might improve the speed. Also the
>>> load time takes forever. Thanks,
>>> WaltinVt
>>
>> I don't think that's it. I think it's the 2 meg graphics card. But
>> you haven't mentioned some other important machine specs like what
>> CPU and speed is it, how much system ram is installed. All of these
>> things you and I've mentioned will affect gamespeed. But the game
>> running from the CD isn't likely to cause what you're seeing.
>> McG.

Thanks McG.

> Well, at least it has PCI slots, and you can get a decent video card
> with 8 to 32 megs vid ram for pretty cheap that will run accelerated in
> Windows, which is what TR3 needs.
> McG.
>
> Walt Mather wrote:
> > You're probably right about the graphics card being the bottle neck.
> > This computer is an old Pentium I (200 I think) that I picked up for
> > my younger kids to play Dos games on (you remember Dos - right :))
> >
> > It's running Win 98 and has like a 3 Gb HD which is only 1/4 full. I
> > can't remember how much system ram it has (can't check right now cuz
> > it's in the kids bedroom and they're still sleeping) but I know most
> > of the other games they run don't have a problem. I guess I didn't
> > think of TR-3 as being that demanding on computer resources compared
> > to some of the games we run today.
> >
> > WaltinVt
> >

> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I don't think that's it. I think it's the 2 meg graphics card. But
> >> you haven't mentioned some other important machine specs like what
> >> CPU and speed is it, how much system ram is installed. All of these
> >> things you and I've mentioned will affect gamespeed. But the game
> >> running from the CD isn't likely to cause what you're seeing.
> >> McG.

McG,
Thats not so easy. I was looking for a 16 or 32 meg card for my
nephew's PII 350 (on board 4meg graphics) and was having trouble finding
a new one. (I didn't look for a used one (e-bay)) He ending up getting a
PS2.

Mike

McGrandpa wrote:
> Well, at least it has PCI slots, and you can get a decent video card
> with 8 to 32 megs vid ram for pretty cheap that will run accelerated in
> Windows, which is what TR3 needs.
> McG.
>
> Walt Mather wrote:
>
>>You're probably right about the graphics card being the bottle neck.
>>This computer is an old Pentium I (200 I think) that I picked up for
>>my younger kids to play Dos games on (you remember Dos - right :))
>>
>>It's running Win 98 and has like a 3 Gb HD which is only 1/4 full. I
>>can't remember how much system ram it has (can't check right now cuz
>>it's in the kids bedroom and they're still sleeping) but I know most
>>of the other games they run don't have a problem. I guess I didn't
>>think of TR-3 as being that demanding on computer resources compared
>>to some of the games we run today.
>>
>>WaltinVt
>>

>>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>I don't think that's it. I think it's the 2 meg graphics card. But
>>>you haven't mentioned some other important machine specs like what
>>>CPU and speed is it, how much system ram is installed. All of these
>>>things you and I've mentioned will affect gamespeed. But the game
>>>running from the CD isn't likely to cause what you're seeing.
>>>McG.

They still do make new PCI cards, here's what I found just at Frys
Outpost.com for PCI vid cards:
http://shop1.outpost.com/category/Outpost/PCtab/Video+Cards/Shop+by+Type
+of+Video+Card/PCI+Video+Cards/

But, since he got a PS2 it's kinda redundant. Sorry I wasn't really any
help.

--
McGrandpa [AGQx]