Question Can we use 4+8 gb 1600mhz ram in dual channel

Feb 21, 2019
today i was playing battlefied v and saw that my pc is using 7.8/8 gb of ram. Im using 4+4gb 1600mhz in dual channel. I know my pc is lacking ram. I want to know that can i upgrade 1 channel of ram to 8gb and it will become 12gb total or should i upgrade both channel of ram to 8gb. It will become 16gb total

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You should replace your ram in pairs. Using a different single stick of ram may not work. Also dual channel requires both channels to have the same size memory (except for boards that support FLEX mode, but not all do, and its not true dual channel). Your best bet would be to buy the same identical 2x4gb kit you have and use that for a total of 16gb. That will most likely work fine.

"Your best bet would be to buy the same identical 2x4gb kit you have and use that for a total of 16gb. That will most likely work fine. " Vendors sometimes change chips on their modules and the new chips may have higher densities so they may not work together.

Absolute best bet would be 2X8GB and sell your old DRAM.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
"Your best bet would be to buy the same identical 2x4gb kit you have and use that for a total of 16gb. That will most likely work fine. " Vendors sometimes change chips on their modules and the new chips may have higher densities so they may not work together.

Absolute best bet would be 2X8GB and sell your old DRAM.

They sometimes do, although its not often that it changes especially within the same exact model number. That was more of a thing many years ago, but nowadays there are only 3 vendors of memory chips Hynix, Samsung, and Micron. Not only that all 3 use the same machines to fab their chips (I used to work for the company that makes the machines), so tolerances are much closer.

You're correct, the 100% safe bet is replace all the ram, but these days the chances of ram, especially the exact model from the same vendor, working together, is higher than ever. Clearly the OP is budget limited if hes asking about trying to use 1 additional stick of ram, this route is more than a safe enough risk.

Reactions: Bearmann
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Use of identical, exact match, same thing may raise your chances of the memory working together over the use of random modules, but have no guarantee to be compatible together.

TRENDING THREADS