Can you change a laptop's GPU or maybe add another GPU on it?

Nov 25, 2020
I am planning to change my laptop's GPU since it's kinda trash. But im still questioning myself if i really can do that or its impossible. Your answer helps.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, In almost all laptops excluding very high end gaming laptops and some (very few) normal laptops, the gpu is soldered to the motherboard and it is not possible to change the gpu. Can you please post the model of your laptop so I can see if it is one of the laptops with a switchable gpu.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hello, In almost all laptops excluding very high end gaming laptops and some (very few) normal laptops, the gpu is soldered to the motherboard and it is not possible to change the gpu. Can you please post the model of your laptop so I can see if it is one of the laptops with a switchable gpu.

Incorrect, most "Gaming" laptops DO have a replaceable GPU. The problem generally is you can't just go to the store or Amazon or Newegg for that matter and just buy one. But to your point almost everything non-gaming won't have a replaceable GPU. We really do need to know the model though. Based on the description so far I put the chances low.

Nov 25, 2020
I can't give you it's pic but it's an hp laptop.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If it has expresscard slot then exp gdc Is 35€ and installation way easier no need To take it apart. If theres no express slot you need To remove WiFi card

Some manufactors also Block other than supported WiFi card so you might need To flash modded bios depending on the motherboard

It does not. And there is nothing easy about having to carry around an EXP GDC, a PSU, and a GPU to be able to use your laptop. I like to call that device an easy way to waste money and make your games still run poorly, while simultaneously making your laptop nearly useless as a laptop.

It does not. And there is nothing easy about having to carry around an EXP GDC, a PSU, and a GPU to be able to use your laptop. I like to call that device an easy way to waste money and make your games still run poorly, while simultaneously making your laptop nearly useless as a laptop.

EDIT: you where right i was reading another thread where OP had expresscard slot, and this is ryzen cpu , sorry

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I think he already understood the laptop he loses the portability if he buy something like this. And i agree its no worth if there is no express slot. Maybe if it had i5 or i7 processor , but its not upgradable

EDIT: did this thread have full specs earlier i remember it said i3 on the topic? Might of been other thread too

I don't think he understood that at all, he said he was looking to replace his laptop's GPU, and asking if its impossible.

At best its a Ryzen 3 3200U or an Athlon 300U. Otherwise its an older architecture APU which would be really bad.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw

AndrewJohn

BANNED
Nov 30, 2020
I think GPU is a part of the overall processor in the laptop and it cannot be changed in most of the laptops. The best you can do is get an external graphics card that works well for all kind of gaming and heavy work needs. However, replacing the GPU might not be a good solution because most of the settings in the laptop are designed according to it and a new GPU may lead to discrepancies.