[SOLVED] Can you help me build my own server?

Jan 17, 2020
I want to build a home server which will run 24/7 and will store all my photos and videos of my trips and I can access it from any device connected to my wifi and retrieve the data from it for using and editing. Please guide me step by step guys.

Thanks in advance

Solution
And yes, a commercial NAS, as mentioned above, is WAY easier, and not necessarily more expensive, than rolling your own.

My house server duties went from the PC mentioned above to a 4 bay Qnap TS-453a.
Absolutely rock solid, 3.5 yrs, 24/7 ops.
Feature rich, quiet, low power consumption, small box, etc, etc.

If you already have most or all of a PC sitting around unused, that may be your way forward.
But if you're buying all new parts, seriously consider a NAS box.

USAFRet

Titan
I want to build a home server which will run 24/7 and will store all my photos and videos of my trips and I can access it from any device connected to my wifi and retrieve the data from it for using and editing. Please guide me step by step guys.

Thanks in advance
For that use, just about any normal PC will work. Does not hav to be powerful, or a "server".
I had a setup like that until a couple years ago.
i5-3570k and 8GB RAM. That system is still working as an HTPC, playing out to the TV.

Shared folders, mapped drives from the other systems in the house.

What OS are you planning on using?

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks in advance
A commercial NAS is the simple approach. The software on a commercial NAS is optimized for just what you want to do. Shared Windows folders? CHECK. Shared Mac-OS folders? CHECK. Shared Linux folders? CHECK. Multimedia server? CHECK. And MANY MORE functions.
Look at online demo of the Synology software -- https://demo.synology.com/en-us/dsm?utm_source=feature&utm_medium=dsm62
Other NAS vendors are similar.

USAFRet

Titan
And yes, a commercial NAS, as mentioned above, is WAY easier, and not necessarily more expensive, than rolling your own.

My house server duties went from the PC mentioned above to a 4 bay Qnap TS-453a.
Absolutely rock solid, 3.5 yrs, 24/7 ops.
Feature rich, quiet, low power consumption, small box, etc, etc.

If you already have most or all of a PC sitting around unused, that may be your way forward.
But if you're buying all new parts, seriously consider a NAS box.

Solution
Jan 17, 2020
For that use, just about any normal PC will work. Does not hav to be powerful, or a "server".
I had a setup like that until a couple years ago.
i5-3570k and 8GB RAM. That system is still working as an HTPC, playing out to the TV.

Shared folders, mapped drives from the other systems in the house.

What OS are you planning on using?
Any Linux Distro