Question Can you run a Rx 6650 xt with a 450w PSU?

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
I just bought a new Rx 6650 xt and was wondering if my power supply would be enough to power it. I am planning on upgrading my psu as well but wanted to see if I can game with my 6650 xt while I wait. I was running a RX 570 prior to buying this GPU

PS: I have not tested the 6650 xt yet so that's why I'm asking

PC Specs:
Motherboard: B450 Pro Carbon AC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Rx 6650 xt
RAM: G.Skill RipJaw V 3000 mhz
PSU: EVGA 450W

artk2219

Distinguished
I just bought a new Rx 6650 xt and was wondering if my power supply would be enough to power it. I am planning on upgrading my psu as well but wanted to see if I can game with my 6650 xt while I wait. I was running a RX 570 prior to buying this GPU

PS: I have not tested the 6650 xt yet so that's why I'm asking

PC Specs:
Motherboard: B450 Pro Carbon AC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Rx 6650 xt
RAM: G.Skill RipJaw V 3000 mhz
PSU: EVGA 450W

Wattage wise you're just fine, I cant speak to the general power supply quality without knowing the specific model, but you shouldn't have any issues. I guestimated your system and put in an RX 6700XT which has a much higher power usage since they didnt have an RX 6650 XT, always on gaming 24/7 with an m.2 ssd, hdd, monitor, 2 ram sticks, and its still only at 395w load usage with a 445W PSU recommended. I think you should be ok.

https://outervision.com/b/V2aKzb

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
Wattage wise you're just fine, I cant speak to the general power supply quality without knowing the specific model, but you shouldn't have any issues. I guestimated your system and put in an RX 6700XT which has a much higher power usage since they didnt have an RX 6650 XT, always on gaming 24/7 with an m.2 ssd, hdd, monitor, 2 ram sticks, and its still only at 395w load usage with a 445W PSU recommended. I think you should be ok.

https://outervision.com/b/V2aKzb

The one coming in is a Cooler Master MasterWatt 650W 80+ Bronze. But the one I currently have I think is a EVGA 450W W3. Which isn't the greatest but it has been holding up quite well

Reactions: artk2219

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you leave everything at stock speeds, it should be ok. that's about a 175w gpu with a ~100w cpu. throw in the rest of the system and it should be ok.

as you noted though the psu you have is bottom of the barrel and i'd not run it very long like that. but a week as you wait for the new one to come in with it sitting at stock speeds should be ok.

if you need a quality psu at a great price, right now the rosewill capstone units are on a great sale. $40 for 550w one that will be more than enough and a great psu as well.

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-capstone-series-capstone-550m-550w/p/N82E16817182262?quicklink=true

another $10 gets 650w!!

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
if you leave everything at stock speeds, it should be ok. that's about a 175w gpu with a ~100w cpu. throw in the rest of the system and it should be ok.

as you noted though the psu you have is bottom of the barrel and i'd not run it very long like that. but a week as you wait for the new one to come in with it sitting at stock speeds should be ok.

if you need a quality psu at a great price, right now the rosewill capstone units are on a great sale. $40 for 550w one that will be more than enough and a great psu as well.

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-capstone-series-capstone-550m-550w/p/N82E16817182262?quicklink=true

another $10 gets 650w!!
What do you think of the one that is coming in like I mentioned before? The MasterWatt

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
i'd take the capstone hands down but if you already ordered it....... much better all around.

of course i am also assuming you are in the US and can even get that nice price on the capstone :)
Yeah i already ordered it with a nice discount, it was around the same price of the capstone. Was it a good buy then?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
for $40 i'd keep it. for $60 i'd return it and get the capstone :)

it'll work for the system, so that's good. just not the best you could have. i know rosewill is not the first psu name you think of, but they have some good units if you get the right one. just like cooler master. they make some good ones and some truly junk units.

the one you got is in the middle. budget unit for sure, but not bottom of the barrel. just a nice budget model.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
for $40 i'd keep it. for $60 i'd return it and get the capstone :)

it'll work for the system, so that's good. just not the best you could have. i know rosewill is not the first psu name you think of, but they have some good units if you get the right one. just like cooler master. they make some good ones and some truly junk units.

the one you got is in the middle. budget unit for sure, but not bottom of the barrel. just a nice budget model.
I paid $50 so once again I'm in the middle ground haha. But thank you for the feedback!

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
for the sake of extra $$$ go a 850w ( corsair have been good to me ) never half arse a PSU its like putting a cheap arse air cooler on a 12900k and wondering why it thermal throttles !!

I never understand why people go the cheapest and lowest stuff to save a dollar then cry when there is issues simple logic if you cant afford to get the proper parts to suit youre upgrades then dont upgrade !!