Question Cannot boot Windows 10 on a brand new WD Blue SN580

Jalmari

Honorable
Mar 1, 2017
Ello!

Got myself a new M.2 SSD to install Windows 10 on.

I boot a Windows installation USB in UEFI mode and run the installation up until the point the installer does a restart.
After restarting, it throws me back at the start of the installation. If I remove the USB during the restart or try to manually boot the M.2, it either throws me back to BIOS or tells me to " Reboot and select proper boot device...". This is with only the new M.2 connected.

If I connect my old Windows drive and check on the M.2 through that in Windows, the M.2 has a bunch of Windows files in it after the installation attempt. Otherwise in Windows the M.2 seems to function as it should. I have run disgnostics on it and there are no issues whatsoever.

I have tried numerous times with different BIOS setting enabled/disabled. Between each installation attempt I have used diskpart clean to clear the M.2. The M.2 shows up normally in BIOS.

I also tried putting the drive in my friends PC and installing the Windows. But with that, after the installer does the restart, we get a Windows error code: 0xc000000e. Referring to file: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
I have tried repairing bootrec in cmd, but this did not do anything. Also, with scanos it can find the installation, but for some reason it just cannot boot it.

Specs:

MSI B350M Mortar
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
ASUS RTX 2080 Super
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4
WD Blue SN580 2TB M.2
Corsair RM650

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
Just updating the conclusion to this.

Did not manage to get Windows booting from WD Blue SN580 in two different rigs. I came accross some forum posting where someone mentioned similar issues, not being able to boot Windows on a WD drive.

Soooo, I got Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB M.2, slapped it in and everything worked just like that. I will be refunding the WD drive.
I had contacted WD support but they were not aware of any compatability issues.

Lutfij

Titan
I boot a Windows installation USB in UEFI mode and convert the M.2 to GPT in cmd.
You didn't need to do that, actually. The bootable installer will do that for you when you choose where to install the OS.

Speaking of installer, where did you source the installer for your OS?

MSI B350M Mortar
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Turning CSM off and enabling Secure boot
Have FastBoot and Secure Boot disabled in BIOS.

750W power supply
750W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. What is the make and model of the unit + it's age?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Jalmari

Honorable
Mar 1, 2017
Sorry I did not specify those in the original post.

OS installer was created with Windows installation media creation tool from their website. I have tried two different USBs created from two different PCs.

BIOS version is the latest available from manufacturers website.
7A37v1O7

Have tried FastBoot and secure boot disabled as well.

Power supply was actually Corsair RM650.
Can't remember exact age, but guess is tops 6 years.

This is with only the new M.2 connected. If I check on the M.2 through my old Windows drive...
make sure no other drives are connected; whether M.2, SATA, USB, IDE, etc.

if this "old Windows drive" is still part of the system, remove it along with any external drives it can access.
I boot a Windows installation USB in UEFI mode and convert the M.2 to GPT in cmd. Run the installation up until the point the installer does a restart.
After restarting, it throws me back at the start of the installation
just let the installation package do all of this automatically.
point to the drive you want to use, let it wipe the drive, format on it's own and create it's own partitions.

Jalmari

Honorable
Mar 1, 2017
I just updated the original post with new info. At least I managed to get a Windows error code when putting the drive in my friends PC and trying to install Windows there.

Jalmari

Honorable
Mar 1, 2017
Just updating the conclusion to this.

Did not manage to get Windows booting from WD Blue SN580 in two different rigs. I came accross some forum posting where someone mentioned similar issues, not being able to boot Windows on a WD drive.

Soooo, I got Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB M.2, slapped it in and everything worked just like that. I will be refunding the WD drive.
I had contacted WD support but they were not aware of any compatability issues.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Solution