[SOLVED] Cannot delete partitions that have Linux on it - tried everything expect smashing the HDD and getting a new one

George_Florian

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
Hello !

TL;DR:
  • I can't delete partition on which Linux is installed from Windows;
  • the only option available when right clicking the volumes in Disk Management is Help. I don't even get a list of grayed options. I have only one option and that is Help;
  • I have tried MiniTool ShadowMaker Free and AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 8.7 but they require paid subscription to help me in this matter;
  • I have tried deleting partitions and volumes from PowerShell and I get "The operation is not supported by the object.".

Long story:

Some time ago I've installed Linux Mint on my PC. I made a new separate partition for it on my HDD. I've allocated 100 GB for it. Since then I have only booted Linux once and today I have decided to do a clean-up on my storage units.

I have:
  • 1x Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB
  • 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
  • 1x WD Black 1TB

I remember having to choose which OS to boot, but I have got rid of that from BIOS and it has been booting straight to Windows since then.

Today I have installed Windows 10 with only the Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB plugged in. The other two storage devices were unplugged.

Here is how the Disk Management looks like:

ATsJsmi.png

As you can see, Disk 1, which is the WD Black HDD, has a lot of partitions:
  • Disk 1 Partition 4
  • Disk 1 Partition 5
  • Disk 1 Partition 6
  • Disk 1 Partition 7
These were all made when Linux was installed.

I can't delete volumes because I do not have that option. The only option available when right clicking the Linux volumes in Disk Management is Help. I don't even get a list of grayed options. I have only one option and that is Help.

I have tried MiniTool ShadowMaker Free and AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 8.7 but they require paid subscription to actually work and do something.

Next, I've tried using the PowerShell. I have run it as Administrator and went:
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk 1
  • list partition
  • select partition 1
  • delete partition -> The operation is not supported by the object.
  • delete partition override -> The operation is not supported by the object.

When I use list volume it doesn't list all the volumes.

8F9L29E.png

What more can I do except smashing the HDD and getting a new one ?
Please help, I am at my wits end. It's really bothersome how something as simple as right click->delete turned out to be so hard and annoying.

Solution
Try to use Gparted to fix the disk issue.

If you still have the Linux Mint boot medium, Gparted should be accessible from the main menu (when booted into desktop). You can also use the tool named "Disks" , where you'll be able to retrieve the S.M.A.R.T. values from the disks.
Try to use Gparted to fix the disk issue.

If you still have the Linux Mint boot medium, Gparted should be accessible from the main menu (when booted into desktop). You can also use the tool named "Disks" , where you'll be able to retrieve the S.M.A.R.T. values from the disks.

Solution
And how can I use Gparted ?
There is several videos on that on youtube, and lots of online manuals.

Do I need to boot into Linux ?
Gparted is located on a live iso boot image. Look for youtube videos on "Linux Live CD".

How can I delete Linux from inside Linux ? That doesn't sound right.
You don't boot from the same source, and therefore the files on your hdd is not in any use. It's like if you have two hdd and install two windows, one install on each drive. Then you can still access system files belonging to the other OS and can go ahead and delete system files etc without restrictions (at least it was working that way in the xp aera).