cannot detect audio (speakers)

I installed a new Windows XP Pro Operating System w/SP2..Now I cannot get my
speakers to work... In the There are no speakers detected... Not sure what to
do....any suggestions....??? In the control panel/sound/audio....it says no
device detected....tried adding new hardware, but my speakers were not listed
anywhere.
--
Mrs.LuvMyBears

Hi - you won't see speakers show up in device manager. You need to look in
your sound card section/audio for clues - does your sound card show up? Even
with errors? Have you tried scanning again? You will probably need to
download the WinXP drivers from the mfr's site (make sure they're compatible
with SP2).

LuvMyBears wrote:
> I installed a new Windows XP Pro Operating System w/SP2..Now I
> cannot get my speakers to work... In the There are no speakers
> detected... Not sure what to do....any suggestions....??? In the
> control panel/sound/audio....it says no device detected....tried
> adding new hardware, but my speakers were not listed anywhere.

You will not "detect your speakers", only the sound card they plug into..

You must know what sound card you have. Look on your receipt/invoice for
the computer - ask the people you bought the system from, open it up and
look, etc.

There are applications out there that can identify what hardware you have,
but I think they all depend on a properly installed system - as I think they
pull the information from the registry. Perhaps they do not - so I will
recommend you try two different ones:

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

NVidia Video Card Drivers

ATI Video Card Drivers
http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

Creative Labs Sound Device