[SOLVED] Cannot get any loudness from USB microphones on Windows 11 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
I am trying to set a headset on a laptop for video meetings.
(This is NOT my main computer which is a desktop, but on my desktop I have such a big screen that people get upset because I can't look at them and at the camera at the same time...)

Laptop model: Asus ProArt StudioBook H5600QM.
Windows version: 11 Pro 21H2
When I use "Realtek Audio Microphone Array" which is the PC's built-in microphone, people can hear me. I only reach something around -3.6 dB speaking loud, which I think is already quiet...
But I would like to avoid any "aerial" sound in meetings.
I have headsets Senheiser GSP 500 and Senheiser GSP 600. Both work fine on other PCs.
But on the laptop, I cannot get any loudness from them... volume is extremely low or completly silent.
I tried connecting them using USB adapters Native Instruments Komplete Audio 1 and Sabrent "USB External Stereo 3D Sound Adapter | Black".
No success, microphones cannot get heard.

I supposedly know how to connect audio devices, even more complex than this... so I already went a bit everywhere in the settings... (it seems like Windows 11 has it's own layer of settings which is a bit confusing at times but the old style sound settings can be found after a few clicks)

I'm thinking of getting something on USB-C, just because this laptop does not have a lot of USB-A, and the USB-a male plugs are really "floating" in the female plugs on both sides of the PC... but I made sure to test sound with correct plugging.

What could I do to further diagnose or fix this ? Thank you.

(I posted this here because I felt like it could have to do with Windows ... not sure if another category was more appropriate.)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Were you able to try the built in Windows Troubleshooters?

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > Troubleshoot

= = = =

Regarding "so I already went a bit everywhere in the settings... "

Not sure about the full extent of all that.

Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner..

Doing so should open a 5 item menu window with each item, when clicked, leading to quite a number of audio related windows, tabs, and properties.

Explore all first without making any changes but do make notes of anything that does not seem correct or appears otherwise amiss.

Also if you have various audio devices and/or adapters (USB External) there may be some TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) mismatch.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Thank you for the reply, no solution though.

So on my system, "Win + I" didn't work, but troubleshouters are found in Settings > Troubleshoot > Other Troubleshouters > (then there is one for audio)
But this is the same thing as right click the audio/speaker icon and then clicking "Troubleshoot".

Edit: sorry, I forgot this part:
The Troubleshooting options are only about Output / Speakers .... no troubleshoot offered for microphones.

I did not try to use the multiple USB audio adapters at the same time on that PC (PC was restarted most of times when switching)
The only other USB devices I have on the laptop is a Logitech (M500) mouse.

Last edited:

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Progress: maybe problem is solved, but I will only know next time I try to use headphones for a meeting.

I installed Creative Sound Blaster G3 (so I have not tested with the other cards).
Microphone did not work at first.
I found "Troubleshoot input" and "Troubleshoot output" somewhere further in the Windows 11 sound menu, which is a different than when I had looked to "Troubleshoot" at first. I told it to troubleshoot the microphone, it said that the microphone was not selected as input... though it was... then it asked me if it had solved the problem ... it had not. I had now no microphone selected and Windows Sound Recorder would crash when hitting record.
Then I went in the old Sound Blaster G3 Microphone configuration and checked "Listen to this device" of something like that.
From there I noticed that both Windows Sound Recorder and Windows Sound microphone test were getting good loudness from microphone.
I unchecked "Listen to this device" and noticed that now they weren't receiving anything anymore, again...

This is not how it should work. You should be able to use a device as input without "Listening to it" in the output mix. But it looks like selecting it at least a first time triggers something in Windows sound mechanisms.
For some reason after I did this, with "Listen to this device" remaining unchecked:
  • Good: Windows Microphone sound test gets loudness.
  • Bad: Windows Sound Recorder still only records silence.
  • Goold: I tried with another sound software (iZotope RX) and this one recorded fine.
  • Unknown yet: I do not see any sound test option in Microsoft Teams for browser, so that will have to wait for next use...

Last edited:

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Progress: maybe problem is solved, but I will only know next time I try to use headphones for a meeting.

I installed Creative Sound Blaster G3 (so I have not tested with the other cards).
Microphone did not work at first.
I found "Troubleshoot input" and "Troubleshoot output" somewhere further in the Windows 11 sound menu, which is a different than when I had looked to "Troubleshoot" at first. I told it to troubleshoot the microphone, it said that the microphone was not selected as input... though it was... then it asked me if it had solved the problem ... it had not. I had now no microphone selected and Windows Sound Recorder would crash when hitting record.
Then I went in the old Sound Blaster G3 Microphone configuration and checked "Listen to this device" of something like that.
From there I noticed that both Windows Sound Recorder and Windows Sound microphone test were getting good loudness from microphone.
I unchecked "Listen to this device" and noticed that now they weren't receiving anything anymore, again...

This is not how it should work. You should be able to use a device as input without "Listening to it" in the output mix. But it looks like selecting it at least a first time triggers something in Windows sound mechanisms.
For some reason after I did this, with "Listen to this device" remaining unchecked:
  • Good: Windows Microphone sound test gets loudness.
  • Bad: Windows Sound Recorder still only records silence.
  • Goold: I tried with another sound software (iZotope RX) and this one recorded fine.
  • Unknown yet: I do not see any sound test option in Microsoft Teams for browser, so that will have to wait for next use...
Dude, your microphone has a weak output. They may have done this to prevent feedback from speakers in the monitor. Isn't the mic built into the monitor? Just get a cheap usb mic , like a lavaliere the clips on your shirt. If you have latency problems, try asio for all.

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
As I wrote earlier, the microphone now provides sound after "checking and then unchecking" the "Listen to this device" option. Rather looks like a usability bug in Windows or something. Why invent a completely different solution rather than solving the issue?

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
As I wrote earlier, the microphone now provides sound after "checking and then unchecking" the "Listen to this device" option. Rather looks like a usability bug in Windows or something. Why invent a completely different solution rather than solving the issue?
I missed that, I thought you had it fixed and would let us know.

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Since I had a meeting today, I can now confirm that the solution was in my previous post:

For some weird reason, checking "Listen to this device" for the microphone and then unchecking it "unlocked" the sound of the microphone ...

(The solution was not tried with the other microphones nor another Win11 system.)

Status
Not open for further replies.