Question Cannot get my old user

evanlowrie

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
So I recently just bought some new parts for my Gaming PC, I bought a new CPU and Motherboard, the issue is every time I boot the system up, it comes up like normal till the sign in/log in part at the beginning where I have my fathers old user account but not the new account I use, I did not change my Hard Drives I still have the same from my old account, I have no clue what to do, any help is appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Based on your question, I can assume you didn't fresh install win 10 on hdd. When you swap CPU & motherboard it generally helps to reinstall win 10. That would fix the 2 login problem you have. Rarely does swapping hdd onto new motherboard/CPU work smoothly, there is often some side effect

Do you have a win 10 installer? On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Is there anything on the hdd you want to keep?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Was your user attached to an email address? Do you know if windows was attached to the email address? If you had an email address attached to old user, we should see if the old PC is linked to it. Go here and look under signin online

If you do have an account, click on Manage on the devices button
sign in again
click on show details under PC description
click on Info & support tab, does it describe old or new PC?
if its old, it likely means your licence is linked to your email address and one painful thing is easier to deal with.

If PC isn't showing under user, it could mean its linked to dads account or still linked to hardware. Do you have the licence key? MIght need to contact Microsoft after PC fixed to reactivate win 10

Now once you saved anything off the hdd you want to keep, do a clean install
boot from installer

follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and may reactivate once finished - depending on if you use same user/password as the Microsoft account. If licence still tied to old hardware, will need to contact MIcrosoft and get them to fix it from their end.

this is how to reactivate win 10 on new hardware, but some of this needed to be done before the swap for it to work. COntact info for MIcrosoft is at end - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change