Cannot restore PC due2"domain either does not exist" error message

Ithomas248

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hello, I am trying to restore my computer to factory setting. Before I can do that I see a box that says "other user" when I click it asks for a user name and password. When I attempt to input the computer user name i see this message "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted". Please help

Nothing should be asking you for a password when doing a factory restore, you just boot off the disks or use the built-in partition, and run the utility. It wipes your drive and re-installs everything as new.

You are doing something else here. Need some details as to what you are doing, exact steps.

Ithomas248

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I'm not doing anything else. I don't have the disks that came with the computers. My steps are as follows:
Go to gateway recovery center
Select the factory restore option
The computer then restarts itself
After the black screen with the windows logo/icon is when the screen with the "other user" box Pops up on the screen
The only thing I can do is click that box
That's when it asks for user name and password

Did the restore actually complete? Does not sound like it did anything when you selected restore, or did it do the restore between you selecting restore and rebooting? A restore should take about an hour, and will probably ask you for disk 2,3 and so on to recover software and drivers.

If it's asking for a user name and password after the restore is done, check with the manual or Gateway support for what to use there.