[SOLVED] Cannot run windows check update (error code 0x8024a105)

Icy07

Reputable
Oct 7, 2019
I'm writing this for a friend who isn't very tech savvy. I've been trying to help him launch the new Call of Duty game, and it wasn't working, and we narrowed the problem down to him not having an up to date install of Windows 10. He is running 1903, where the minimum is 1909. We tried running Windows update but were greeted with the error 0x8024a105 and text saying that the updates couldn't be checked and to try again later. He has Bitdefender installed, which said it had a windows update to 22h2, but when he downloaded it, nothing ended up downloading or installing. We have run Malwarebytes to check for malware, we have tried rebooting, we have tried the Windows update troubleshooter, we have tried restarting services related to it, we have tried messing with the update settings to see if a specific combination works, and we have tried the SFC and DISM commands. We would like to avoid the nuclear option of a fresh reinstall of windows, as we are unsure we would be able to backup data, and I don't want to walk him through that remotely. Linked below is a picture of his current version of Win10. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

when you have USB made, put it into the PC that won't update while windows is running
open file explorer (win + E Key)
Navigate to the USB drive
run Setup.exe
agree to upgrade current install
PC should restart and install win 10 22H2