nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Using xp build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service pack 2.
P4 3.4gb with 1gb ram & 300gb hdd. HDD @30% of capacity

Something strange going on.
Today PC very sluggish and odd behaviour.
Normally boots in seconds, now taking about 6 minutes.
Have run virus scan, adaware & Spybot S&D. Nothing peculiar.

Have tried to Scandisk both from normal boot and safe mode.
Get error message: " Windows was unable to complete the disk check" with no
further explanation.
Disk defragmenter shows 3% and does not recommend defrag.

Any ideas please?

Nick.

Boot up into *safe* mode. Run your checks from there. See what happens and
get back to this thread with a report on your success/failure.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Nick" <nickswan@nationwideisp.net> wrote in message
> Using xp build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service pack 2.
> P4 3.4gb with 1gb ram & 300gb hdd. HDD @30% of capacity
>
> Something strange going on.
> Today PC very sluggish and odd behaviour.
> Normally boots in seconds, now taking about 6 minutes.
> Have run virus scan, adaware & Spybot S&D. Nothing peculiar.
>
> Have tried to Scandisk both from normal boot and safe mode.
> Get error message: " Windows was unable to complete the disk check" with
> no
> further explanation.
> Disk defragmenter shows 3% and does not recommend defrag.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Nick.

I have been successful in running chkdsk from the repair console when it
wouldn't work any other way. I have also had to run it 2-3 times, upon
occasion, to complete all repairs.

You can get to the recovery console by booting up with a Windows XP CD.
Please note that if you are running Windows XP SP2, you will need a Windows
XP CD that has SP2 incorporated into it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Nick" <nickswan@nationwideisp.net> wrote in message
> Using xp build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service pack 2.
> P4 3.4gb with 1gb ram & 300gb hdd. HDD @30% of capacity
>
> Something strange going on.
> Today PC very sluggish and odd behaviour.
> Normally boots in seconds, now taking about 6 minutes.
> Have run virus scan, adaware & Spybot S&D. Nothing peculiar.
>
> Have tried to Scandisk both from normal boot and safe mode.
> Get error message: " Windows was unable to complete the disk check" with
> no
> further explanation.
> Disk defragmenter shows 3% and does not recommend defrag.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Nick.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you Richard,

as per my OP, I have tried from normal and *safe* mode. Without any
success, just the same error message each time.

Regards

Nick.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Boot up into *safe* mode. Run your checks from there. See what happens
and
> get back to this thread with a report on your success/failure.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "Nick" <nickswan@nationwideisp.net> wrote in message
> > Using xp build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service pack 2.
> > P4 3.4gb with 1gb ram & 300gb hdd. HDD @30% of capacity
> >
> > Something strange going on.
> > Today PC very sluggish and odd behaviour.
> > Normally boots in seconds, now taking about 6 minutes.
> > Have run virus scan, adaware & Spybot S&D. Nothing peculiar.
> >
> > Have tried to Scandisk both from normal boot and safe mode.
> > Get error message: " Windows was unable to complete the disk check"
with
> > no
> > further explanation.
> > Disk defragmenter shows 3% and does not recommend defrag.
> >
> > Any ideas please?
> >
> > Nick.

Sorry I missed that.