Cannot understand heatsink sockets on motherboard

ItzFridayyy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Over the past 2 years or so, I have slowly turned the old family computer into my own, upgrading the parts etc. The computer was originally purchased from PC World. The motherboard is the only thing I have not changed out. When I bought my new CPU, I tried connecting the heatsink, but could not. The Intel stock heatsink is push-pins whereas I am not too sure what the old, original is. In each corner around the processor, there seems to be 4 small tubes. Would someone be able to tell me if this is a backplate on the motherboard? If so, I'll wait to change it out until my new case arrives! Thank-you for any help!
DBSMV11001-02.jpg

AnPCtester

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
This is an Acer IPIMB-AR motherboard with 1155 pin socket. So any aftermarket CPU cooler for the 2nd gen and 3rd gen core i processors will fit this socket. The small tubes are mounting brackets and can be removed. You need to lift out the mobo from the case, flip it over and you will be able to remove them from the other side.

ItzFridayyy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Ah, cool! I had a feeling it was a bracket but I have had no reason to remove the motherboard until now! I just wanted to know before hand! If I remove the bracket, will that then allow me to use a push-pin heatsink?

AnPCtester

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

I doubt that will be the case. The bracket looks too small to accommodate the push-pin style heatsink. You might have to get a new aftermarket one. I have not actually physically looked this particular board so I am not sure.