[SOLVED] Cant access games from hdd after installing windows on new ssd,PLEASE HELP ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2021
ok so i just bought an m.2 and installed it and everything, got windows and stuff. but now i have windows on both my ssd and hdd( c and d drive) but im booting it from the new ssd. but thats not the main problem here, i cant access or open the games i have on my hdd, lets say gta, i have it on epicgames on my hdd, then i tried opening it but it did not work. so i tried downloading epicgames launcher on my new ssd and logged in my account but even then it told me to install the game on my ssd.
my hdd is 2tb and my new ssd is 256gb so i wont be able to reinstall all the programs on my ssd obviously.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can't really do what you described.

When you installed the M2, you needed to disconnect your HDD, and do a clean install of Windows on the M2.

After that's done, you'd re-attach the HDD, and that will become your D drive.

BUT, whether or not you disconnected the HDD when you installed Windows - the Windows install doesn't know about the games that are installed. Your M2 has a clean install.

You will have to reinstall all the games and any other software you had. I don't know how EpicGames works, but with Steam, you could create an additional library on your D drive, and then reinstall the games. Steam would then realize most/all of the files are there for the game, and just do some basic housekeeping and maybe an update, rather than downloading the whole game again.

EDIT: @rgd1101 addressed the Epic-specific stuff.

USAFRet

Titan
For Steam game specifically, you need to tell the NEW Steam client you install about the location on the other drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties