Question Can't adjust any fan speeds with any software or with BIOS ?

Mar 21, 2023
I recently bought a Asus Rog Strix G15CF pre-built computer and the specifications are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming B660M-Plus D4
CPU: Core I7 12700F
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200mhz
Storage: 1.5TB (Two M.2's: 500GB and 1TB)

The computer came with one singular 3 pin exhaust fan to the left of the CPU along with a four pin CPU Cooler. I have went through dozens of software's and even updated my BIOS but I still don't have the ability to control my fan speeds. They currently only start running higher RPM's when under a higher load such as a benchmark or intense game. However, for example, when my computer is streaming videos on Youtube, the CPU temperatures can get anywhere between 75-80C. Whereas, when its idling it can get anywhere in between 65-75. I recently added a Corsair LL120 4 pin case fan, however, I'm still not able to adjust the speed of that fan either through the BIOS or any other software. My graphics card however, runs flawlessly. When idling, it gets anywhere in between 35-45C and when under high loads gets anywhere in between 50-60C. What am I doing wrong and why does "Q-Fan Control" not appear in bios for me to adjust the CPU cooler speed or the Corsair fan.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Adjusting fan speeds etc. is done individually for each mobo fan HEADER where the respective fans are connected. Since you have both 3- and 4-pin fans, you must connect the different fan designs to different headers. Then ensure that each is set to the correct MODE: DC Mode for the 3-pin fans, PWM Mode for 4-pin.

To get to those fan configuration screens you have two choices according to the BIOS Manual here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/13MANUAL/PRIME_PROART_TUF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS D4

Start from p. 5. To ENTER BIOS Setup, hold down the Del key right after rebooting until the opening screen of Setup shows (p. 6). A short tap of the Del key is not sufficient. p. 6 shows the EZ Mode and from there you can click on QFan Control at bottom centre to get to fan adjustments. Alternatively you can use F7 to leap to Advanced Mode (p.48), then choose Monitor from the top menu to get to p. 67. Choose QFan Configuration (p. 68) and scroll down to Chassis Fan 1-5 Profile (p. 70) to start the CHA_FAN header adjustments.

For the header where your 3-pin rear fan is connected, set the Fan Control to DC Mode; for 4-pin fans, set this to PWM Mode

For Chassis Fan n Profile I suggest you use "standard" for now, which uses a pre-set "fan curve". However, if you decide afterwards that you would like your case fans to run faster for cooler temperatures, you can set this to Manual. THEN skip to p. 71 where you can set THREE points along you own custom "fan curve". Each point is defined by the TEMPERATURE and DUTY Cycle settings.

For Chassis Fan 1-5 QFan Source, set to the Motherboard temp sensor, not others.

Your post indicates you also are concerned with CPU temperatures. You have similar options available to set for the CPU cooler system, beginning on p. 68. This header will only use the CPU temp. sensor.

When you have made all your changes, use Esc back to Main Menu, then click on EXIT at top right to get to the Exit Menu (p. 86). Alternatively, F10 should get you there. Choose Save Changes and Reset to save and reboot.

Mar 21, 2023
Hi, thanks so much for the reply! However, for some reason when I enter bios even when navigating through "EZ Mode" and "Advanced Mode" there is no option for Q-fan Control anywhere. Does my motherboard not support Q-Fan Control?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do you mean the EZ Mode screen does NOT have a square at the bottom middle with a box that says "QFan Control" that you can click on? Or, that doing that simply does nothing? Or, in Advanced Mode, if you click on Monitor in the top menu bar, you cannot find a header on the left of the next screen for "QFan configuration"?

Mar 21, 2023
Both, for some reason I have no control or configuration of my fan speeds. When I am in EZ mode in my BIOS there is no "Q-Fan Control" on the bottom middle of the screen next to where it says "Fan Profile." Also, when I'm in advanced mode, there is no option for "Q-Fan Configuration" or "Q-Fan Control" on the top menu bar when in the monitor tab. If it helps at all, I may be able to provide pictures.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's very weird! The manuals for that mobo certainly show those features. But you bought this as a complete system, not just the mobo. MAYBE they installed an odd BIOS on that mobo. Contact ASUS Tech Support and ask them what is going on. Should you update the BIOS?

Mar 21, 2023
Alright, I'll do that. Yes, I actually have updated bios from version 304 to 307 however, nothing in the interface actually changed, it was exactly how it was prior to the update. Thanks for your help!

May 12, 2023
Alright, I'll do that. Yes, I actually have updated bios from version 304 to 307 however, nothing in the interface actually changed, it was exactly how it was prior to the update. Thanks for your help!
I won't link it but you can control all fans connected to the motherboard, cpu included, with Fan Control over on Github by Rem0o.

Been using since day 1 of having my G15CF.