[SOLVED] Can't Boot Existing Windows 10 Load after Flashing BIOS to Support TPM 2.0

mcapehart

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
My system uses the ASUS PRIME Z390-A Motherboard, Intel Core i7-9700, HyperX HX436C17PB3K2/32 RAM, Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB and a ASUS GeForce GTX 950 2GB video card (used from previous configuration); this configuration has been running the latest version of Windows 10 since I set up the system in January. I did not make any changes to the default BIOS settings - the BIOS was version 1602. On Monday I ran the PC Heath Check App - everything passed except the app could not find TMP 2.0 support. I went to ASUS and found that BIOS Version 1903 supports TPM 2.0. I flashed the firmware and the reboot resulted in the blue screen of death with the recommendation to perform Windows Repair. I contacted ASUS and tier one support said the system should have booted up normally. They asked several questions and escalated me to advanced support. Someone from advanced support is supposed to contact me within the next 24 hours. I support several systems, with ASUS motherboards, that can update to Windows 11 if I update the BIOS. I can also add TPM 2.0 Modules since they have the headers on the motherboard. Either way, am I going to run into this same problem with every one of these systems or was I just unlucky with my system? My plan is to use spare hard drives to do a clean install of Windows 10, update to Windows 11 and confirm activation - then do a clean install of Windows 11 and confirm activation. Then I can reconnect the existing boot drive and wait until I am ready or need to update these systems with a clean install of Windows 11. If enabling TPM makes it impossible to boot the existing drive I would have make this change before the free update expires. This process worked well with the move to Windows 10 and I didn't update our systems until several months after the free update expired.

Last edited:
Solution
it's because the windows 10 is on legacy, where as the latest bios that enabled w11 as default disable any csm option. try to enable Launch CSM and boot to windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
BSOD isn't normal reaction you would get if the problem was the disk format, you wouldn't get windows at all if it was the disk format

Its probably more likely that fast startup messed up. Because win 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down, it is probable flashing bios while it was on sure messed with it. I can't say I seen it before but there is always a first.

If you were on win 10 before, you probably need to install 10 on them and activate it and then upgrade them to win 11 to get a win 11 activation. I don't know if you can clean install 11 using a 10 key, probably can but if key been used to activate 10 you may need to go the upgrade route.

enabling TPM doesn't stop boot, its usually more secure boot that is cause there

I flashed the firmware and the reboot resulted in the blue screen of death with the recommendation to perform Windows Repair. I contacted ASUS and tier one support
What BSOD? Show a photo.
BSOD is not just to annoy you. It also has information on it, to identify the problem.

When you update BIOS, all BIOS settings get reset to defaults. This is normal and expected.
If you had any custom boot related settings (different from defaults), then those settings have to be reverted to original values.
Like - sata controller mode, boot mode, secure boot e.t.c.
This is not ASUS issue. There was no point in contacting ASUS support for this.

mcapehart

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
What BSOD? Show a photo.
BSOD is not just to annoy you. It also has information on it, to identify the problem.

When you update BIOS, all BIOS settings get reset to defaults. This is normal and expected.
If you had any custom boot related settings (different from defaults), then those settings have to be reverted to original values.
Like - sata controller mode, boot mode, secure boot e.t.c.
This is not ASUS issue. There was no point in contacting ASUS support for this.
After posting this question I continued to try other things. I think the primary problem with the ASUS BIOS update was a problem with memory slot management. The system will not post with RAM in any slot but B2. If I turn off OKMem I can post with RAM in A2 and B2. Both RAM sticks allow post in slot B2. Trying to use slots A1 and B2, separately or together doesn't work either. Once I figured out the problem was a RAM problem I was able to reinstall the video card and used a spare have drive to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, update to Windows 11 Pro 64-bit and activate. Then I successfully did a clean install of Windows 10 and it activated. I suspect turning on CMS would allow me to boot from my previous Windows 10 boot drive but I probably corrupted the MBR with my repeated attempts to boot it up after the BIOS update. I will error on the side of caution and reload the system once I figure out the RAM slot issue. I have an active support ticket with ASUS. I suspect the problem is a memory management bug in the new BIOS and that BIOS update will be coming out shortly.

mcapehart

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
BSOD isn't normal reaction you would get if the problem was the disk format, you wouldn't get windows at all if it was the disk format

Its probably more likely that fast startup messed up. Because win 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down, it is probable flashing bios while it was on sure messed with it. I can't say I seen it before but there is always a first.

If you were on win 10 before, you probably need to install 10 on them and activate it and then upgrade them to win 11 to get a win 11 activation. I don't know if you can clean install 11 using a 10 key, probably can but if key been used to activate 10 you may need to go the upgrade route.

enabling TPM doesn't stop boot, its usually more secure boot that is cause there
I discovered one problem and think [B]Koekieezz[/B] correctly pointed out that CMS must be enable to boot from a legacy Windows 10 boot device after enabling TPM 2.0. The first problem was related to RAM. With BIOS 1602 the RAM slots worked fine, after updating to BIOS 1903 the system will only post with RAM in slot B2 - both RAM sticks will post in this slot. I have a support ticket with ASUS. I suspect 1903 has a RAM management bug and will be updated.

mcapehart

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
If this is true how did the system work flawlessly, for 10 months, with BIOS 1602? When I took the motherboard out of the antistatic bag, the first thing I did was unlock the socket, remove the black plastic cover, sit the processor in place and lock the socket. Then I installed the base for the heat sink/fan/heatpipe and secured it. Then I installed the RAM and installed the motherboard in the case. I never had a reason to touch the processor again, before making sure was clean, applying the thermal paste and securing the heat sink/fan/heatpipe. I will pull the heat sink/fan/heat pipe as a last resort since I don't like to touch the processor once it has been installed - it is too easy to get skin oils and other debris on the processor contacts and those can be hard to fully remove.

mcapehart

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
The problem started after updating the BIOS - before I moved the case from where it normally sits. I did move the case from the floor, under my L shaped desk, to the work bench (about two feet) before removing the covers. I am an IT Admin; my office has a 72"x72" L shaped desk, a 72" computer table that I use as a work bench and a shelving unit. Between the left return (of my desk) and the computer table I can work on 4 desktops and several laptops at the same time. Once ASUS responds, I may have to remove the processor as part of their troubleshooting process. I would love for this to be something as simple as reseating the processor but that is a lot of work, with the risk of damaging the pins as you previously mentioned. I do appreciate you taking the time to rely - more than once. I have observed problems, like you describe, before. I am the only person in my office, I have not allowed anyone else to enter my office since March 19, 2020 - I upgraded the system in January, 2021 and have never had a problem with it.

mcapehart

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
That makes sense. Thx!
I wanted to follow up. After finally taking the time to remove the heat sink/fan/heat pipe, removing the processor, confirming the pins were ok, thoroughly cleaning the processor & heat sink/fan/heat pipe, reinstalling the processor, applying new thermal grease and installing the heat sink/fan/heat pipe - the system had the same problem, with the A2 RAM slot, as it has since I updated the BIOS. Once I knew bent pins or poor contact weren't the problem I removed the RAM from slot A2 and reconnected the NVMe Boot drive. I enabled CSM and the system booted up without any problem. Now I waiting for ASUS Tier 2 support to get back with me about the problem with RAM slot A2. I wanted to let you know that I confirmed you solution to the problem I reported before I realized I also had a problem with the RAM Slot. Thanks for your quick response!

mcapehart

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
The problem started after updating the BIOS - before I moved the case from where it normally sits. I did move the case from the floor, under my L shaped desk, to the work bench (about two feet) before removing the covers. I am an IT Admin; my office has a 72"x72" L shaped desk, a 72" computer table that I use as a work bench and a shelving unit. Between the left return (of my desk) and the computer table I can work on 4 desktops and several laptops at the same time. Once ASUS responds, I may have to remove the processor as part of their troubleshooting process. I would love for this to be something as simple as reseating the processor but that is a lot of work, with the risk of damaging the pins as you previously mentioned. I do appreciate you taking the time to rely - more than once. I have observed problems, like you describe, before. I am the only person in my office, I have not allowed anyone else to enter my office since March 19, 2020 - I upgraded the system in January, 2021 and have never had a problem with it.
I wanted to follow up. Realizing removing the processor, confirming the pins weren't bent or broken and putting it back together without overtightening the anchor bolts, would most likely be part of the trouble shooting process ASUS would have me try when they call - I went ahead and did that today. I removed the heat sink/fan/heat pipe, removed the processor, confirmed the pins were ok, thoroughly cleaned the processor & heat sink/fan/heat pipe, reinstalled the processor, applied new thermal grease and installed the heat sink/fan/heat pipe. The first boot attempt required me to go into the BIOS to change a setting. When I did I went ahead and enable CMS based on a previous suggestion. The system had the same problem, with the A2 RAM slot, as it has since I updated the BIOS. Once I knew bent pins or poor contact weren't the problem I removed the RAM from slot A2 and reconnected the NVMe Boot drive. The system booted up without any problem. Now I waiting for ASUS Tier 2 support to get back with me about the problem with RAM slot A2. I am surprised the system boots up with RAM only in slot B2 and won't boot up with RAM in slot A2 or both A2 and B2. I would welcome any ideas you might have.

mcapehart

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
I discovered one problem and think [B]Koekieezz[/B] correctly pointed out that CMS must be enable to boot from a legacy Windows 10 boot device after enabling TPM 2.0. The first problem was related to RAM. With BIOS 1602 the RAM slots worked fine, after updating to BIOS 1903 the system will only post with RAM in slot B2 - both RAM sticks will post in this slot. I have a support ticket with ASUS. I suspect 1903 has a RAM management bug and will be updated.
I wanted to follow up. The solution I mentioned a few days ago was what was required. Once I enabled CMS, in the BIOS, the system booted the old NMVe Windows 10 load without any problem. I still have the RAM problem but and am waiting on ASUS Tier 2 support to respond.