[SOLVED] Can't boot without a reset after 1909 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecontact

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Hi,

I am getting a really strange problem with my laptop. First of all I would like to clarify that I have researched. I am a very experienced windows user. I have done my research but I can not this this issue.

A few months ago when 1903 update came up. I tried to do the update. But my pc could not boot when I tried to update to "1903". So It restored the old version. So I thought I should give some time to fix their windows update. And I disabled Windows Update.

Until 5 of April It was disabled. So I re-enabled it for recent windows updates.(It was "1909"). The update procedure was fine until the last restart which I had to do manually by pressing the power button. Here is the problem. When I choose the restart option from the start-up. It fails to boot(just waits without spinning dots- I have left the pc over night but It was just waiting without dots) unless I push the power button to shutdown and re-press it to power-on. After the manual reset windows always boots normally.

As I said I have done my research and I think that's an issue for my nvme SSD. Because lots of people stated that they had an booting issue after "1903" update.

Some people on answer.windows.com reported that updating the RST driver fixed their issue. But there is no installed rst driver on my computer.(checked it on device manager)

I have tried to safe boot, sfc thing, disabling the fast boot(from bios and from power settings), troubleshoot things, BIOS update,installing the samsung nvme driver instead of windows one and etc. But no chance!

My point is this is just a basic problem but it really bothers me. But I think when my pc restarts it is just trying to boot from HDD(which is filled with just photos-not bootable) because I hear some HDD noises.

Thanks in advance!

Note: When I first installed win10 on SSD. I did a clean install. It wasn't a image replication.(Some users say that this is an issue but I didn't do this in the first place.)

Note: I am not a native speaker. Sorry for my English.

Build is as follows:

MSI GP72 6QE
CPU: i7-6700HQ
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 950M
SSD: 970 evo connected to nvme port(Which I have manually installed)
HDD: 1 TB

Bassplate

Reputable
Hi there! :benetton:
This Sounds more of an encrypted windows or encrypted windows files because when updating windows the windows needs to shut itself down to contain its installation...updates has its path especially the 1909 update.
Well you said you are using the Windows Update itself to update to 1909.Why don't you use the media creation tool-1909 to UPGRADE your windows to the newer version?Or simply just create a bootable USB drive to upgrade your windows...
Maybe there are other ways to upgrade to 1909 but i know this media creation tool surely helps...
Your SSD couldn't be the problem...i mean its compatible with your components and maybe it could only be the SSD driver that's preventing windows to update.

thecontact

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Hi there! :benetton:
This Sounds more of an encrypted windows or encrypted windows files because when updating windows the windows needs to shut itself down to contain its installation...updates has its path especially the 1909 update.
Well you said you are using the Windows Update itself to update to 1909.Why don't you use the media creation tool-1909 to UPGRADE your windows to the newer version?Or simply just create a bootable USB drive to upgrade your windows...
Maybe there are other ways to upgrade to 1909 but i know this media creation tool surely helps...
Your SSD couldn't be the problem...i mean its compatible with your components and maybe it could only be the SSD driver that's preventing windows to update.
Hi!
Thank you for your reply.
My winver is 1909 at this moment. This isn't a preupdate problem. The issue occured after update(1909).
My pc works fine for now. But as I said I can not perform a restart. It is just shutting down and waits in the msi logo without spinning dots.

Thanks.

You may want disconnect your other hdd and see if it fixes the problem. At least you would know where the problem lies.

I would also try a cold boot, remove the battery, unplug the AC adapter, press and hold down the power button for 10 seconds, reattach the AC adapter and boot your laptop. You said you disabled fast boot (startup?) power settings, make sure it is left disabled (disabling the fast boot in the BIOS simply disables the memory check).

Last edited:

thecontact

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
You may want disconnect your other hdd and see if it fixes the problem. At least you would know where the problem lies.

I would also try a cold boot, remove the battery, unplug the AC adapter, press and hold down the power button for 10 seconds, reattach the AC adapter and boot your laptop. You said you disabled fast boot (startup?) power settings, make sure it is left disabled (disabling the fast boot in the BIOS simply disables the memory check).

Thanks for the reply.

I unplugged the hdd give it a try no chance. Also I tried your battery thing It booted normally. But I can't still perform a restart. I am running out of options. So both of them didn't fix the restart problem.

thecontact

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Solution for internet. I contacted with MSI support because a fresh installition didn't fix it. They provided me a newer BIOS file and instructions. And it was fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS