Can't change refresh rate above 60Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGGieTheItalian

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Hello guys, I recently bought an ASUS VG248QE.
I set upped it with the DisplayPort for DVI, I tried to change refresh rate, but nothing, I can only choose 60 Hertz, I updated all drivers of the pc, I tried to change input of the DisplayPort, after the updates I restared my pc, but still nothing, and when I go to change the refresh rate of the screen, it's name is "Generic PnP Monitor" what should I do?
Sorry for my bad english.

CPU: i5 6600k @3.5Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X
GPU: GTX 1070 ROG STRIX
RAM: 16 GB G.Skill 2800Mhz
Hard Disk: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB
Motherboard: ASrock Z170 Pro4S
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+Gold
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red

Solution
If your connecting the monitor using a DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter, my guess is that's why the refresh-rate won't go above 60Hz, as suggested by aquielisunari above.

Forget about Device Manager listing the monitor as "Generic PnP Monitor", that's normal and is irrelevant to your problem.
If you want to see your monitor listed there by it's make & model you just need to install it's INF driver (through Device Manager) from the Asus website but it's by no means essential:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/VG248QE/HelpDesk_Download/

(Note: INF driver is only available from Asus for Vista & Windows 7 - for Win8/Win10 I assume it's either delivered by Windows Update or just not available yet).

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017
Your english is great! How many hz is your monitor? No other options will be available if your monitor is only 60hz to start with.. You can't run games on say 144hz if your monitor can't do that output in the first place.

The oddity here is Display port to DVI. If you were only using a 1.4 display port cable you would have the 144Hz option your monitor is capable of. As it sits your inclusion of DVI is, imo your limiting factor.

BiGGieTheItalian

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

My monitor is the ASUS VG248QE and it can go up to 144Hz
and I have a second monitor which is a crappy monitor and that one it can go up to 60Hz

If your connecting the monitor using a DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter, my guess is that's why the refresh-rate won't go above 60Hz, as suggested by aquielisunari above.

Forget about Device Manager listing the monitor as "Generic PnP Monitor", that's normal and is irrelevant to your problem.
If you want to see your monitor listed there by it's make & model you just need to install it's INF driver (through Device Manager) from the Asus website but it's by no means essential:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/VG248QE/HelpDesk_Download/

(Note: INF driver is only available from Asus for Vista & Windows 7 - for Win8/Win10 I assume it's either delivered by Windows Update or just not available yet).

Solution

BiGGieTheItalian

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

I have Win 10, and I think it's not available yet, so what I have to do now? Do I have to wait until it will be available?

That isn't the core issue imo. Download, install and run www.geforce.com/geforce-experience. You can also look to your taskbar and right click the Geforce icon. Click on Open Nvidia Control panel. There you should see the correct name. Apart from that a proper display port cable is what is needed to correct your issue.

BiGGieTheItalian

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

But I already have one, and I'm already using it. I don't think the DP is the problem.

BiGGieTheItalian

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

It's just a regular DP cable plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.