[SOLVED] Can't connect PC to TV via HDMI

Dominik H

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
Hello, not really sure which category to put this, but here goes:

I've recently bought a 10m HDMI cable for connecting my PC to my TV. However, the TV just returns with a grey static screen, similar to those moving ants from tv channels, except they aren't moving.

I've narrowed it down to being an issue with my PC, as my phone connects to the hdmi just fine via a USB-C converter, and the tv also connects to my laptop just fine with it. So it's defiinitely not the wire, or the TV.

But here is where I'm stumped. How do I even address this if it's an issue with my PC? I thought it might be a port issue, so I attached it to a HDMI to DP converter so that I could try a different port, and it still has the same issue. I have 2 monitors connected to my PC and they all work flawlessly on every port.

Any ideas what else I can try, or maybe even an idea of what can fix this? Or maybe I'm missing something obvious that a second pair of eyes would spot in an instant.

Thanks in advance.

TV: Sony Bravia A80J
HDMI Cable: https://amzn.eu/d/08e6J9p
My PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ysrmFg

Solution
you might need to enable hdmi 2.x support on your TV, its usualy disabled by default...mine samsung calls it HDMI UHD color...Sony has probably different naming

settting up resolution on PC for TV usualy renders it in native resolution (4K) even if you set 1080p
recently bought a 10m HDMI cable for connecting my PC to my TV
what resolution and refresh rate does the laptop use?
and what does the PC use?
this can be a big issue using extended length HDMI cables. many have severe issue running higher bandwidth at that type of length.

you can try manipulating the TV's display & input settings while it is connected to the PC via the new HDMI cable.
you can also try manipulating the PC's output settings. if a lower resolution and/or refresh rate works then it is an issue with the cable and not your hardware.

it took me some time to get my LG running 4K HDR 120Hz through an extended HDMI cable from the PC.

Dominik H

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
what resolution and refresh rate does the laptop use?
and what does the PC use?
this can be a big issue using extended length HDMI cables. many have severe issue running higher bandwidth at that type of length.

you can try manipulating the TV's display & input settings while it is connected to the PC via the new HDMI cable.
you can also try manipulating the PC's output settings. if a lower resolution and/or refresh rate works then it is an issue with the cable and not your hardware.

it took me some time to get my LG running 4K HDR 120Hz through an extended HDMI cable from the PC.
The laptop is 1080p@60hz, for my pc I use a monitor that has 2k@165hz.
The TV has support for 4k@120hz, but I've changed my display settings to do 1080p@60hz for the TV, but the issue is still the same unfortunately.

What did you end up doing for your LG to work? Any particular setting you remember sorting?

What did you end up doing for your LG to work? Any particular setting you remember sorting?
tried 3 different 30' HDMI 2.1 cables.

finally the last one could handle the bandwidth(2160p / 120Hz / HDR) and still works perfectly a few years later.
the first 2 would only work with the system set at 2160p 60Hz with HDR disabled.

i searched for a few weeks for a proper 2.1 cable and the majority of those over 15' had many reviews stating that they could not get 2160p to work over 60Hz, with or without HDR enabled.
I've changed my display settings to do 1080p@60hz for the TV, but the issue is still the same unfortunately.
if you only changed the TV's internal settings,
try also changing the PC's video output to lower values.

you might need to enable hdmi 2.x support on your TV, its usualy disabled by default...mine samsung calls it HDMI UHD color...Sony has probably different naming

settting up resolution on PC for TV usualy renders it in native resolution (4K) even if you set 1080p

Last edited:
Solution
i've been through this issue with a few different displays.
each time the input was getting upscaled to fit the TV's native values, not actually changed at the source.
thats not what i ment
PVf5pqw.png

i ment that signal mode uses native resoution even if you reduce resolution, it still keeps 4k connection

Dominik H

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
HDMI cable specs have different capabilities.
Looks to me like you did not actually get a Ultra High quality cable.
The photo shows 4k @60hz.
https://www.hdmi.org/resource/cables

Distance is a factor also so buy the minimum length that you need.
10m (30 ft) will have losses.
A top end cable will be expensive:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38626

I'm not too bothered if there are losses, I would just be happy with it displaying anything at all, even if just 4k@60hz. And as I say, my laptop connects to the 10m hdmi just fine, and so does my phone, it's just my desktop PC that has issues for some strange reason.

However, you are correct, and I didn't realise this but the title is so misleading then saying 120hz support!

Last edited:

Dominik H

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014

I see so it doesnt really matter what I set the resolution as.

Not quite what you were saying, but while looking for what you mentioned, I found and changed the hdmi signal format from "standard format" to "enhanced format with VRR support" and now it works flawlessly, so strange but finally it works!

T hanks all for your help with this

Last edited: