[SOLVED] Can't control chassis fan speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher760

Reputable
Jul 25, 2019
I recently started my 3rd PC build and have never ran into this issue before. I have Rosewill Prism S-Black case and a ASRock AB350 PRO4 motherboard. For some reason I cannot control any of the 4 pre-installed case fans neither through software nor through the BIOS. I have tried using the BIOS and set it to "silent mode" but that did not change the RPM of the fans. I dont know how to attach an image, but I would attach an image of what I think is the pre-installed fan controller if I could. It is on the back of the case and has all of the pre-installed fans connected to it. I have connected the controller to the power supply. I have not connected the VDG plug because the motherboard does not have a connector for it. I'm not sure what the problem is and how to solve it. Is my motherboard not compatible? Do I need to connect the fan controller to the motherboard? Any suggestions?

Solution
Check the fans you have. If they really are the ones I suspect with SIX wires from each ending in a female connector with 6 holes in a straight line, that is a non-standard system that you cannot expect to plug into any common controller. If the "hub" is as that web page illustrates, then that is how to power and control both the RGB lights and the fan speeds. BUT they certainly should have included with that system the hand-held remote control box with all the buttons. Contact Rosewill Tech support OR the seller you bought the case from and ask where the remote control box is. At minimum they should be able to sell you the exact box even if they claim it was not supposed to be included.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The way I read the documents on this case and its fan systems, you can NOT use any mobo tools to control fan speeds. It appears the case comes with four of Rosewill's RGBF-12000x series fans. These contain RGB lighting units of the 3-pin ADDRESSABLE RGB type (not the plain 4-pin RGB type). Separately the fans are sold as a 3-pack with a Controller / Hub and a hand-held box for remote control manually. The fans each have a non-standard six-wire cable and connector to plug into the Controller/ Hub unit. That unit controls both the lighting displays and the fan speeds using the manual buttons on the remote control. Alternatively for the RGB LIGHTS ONLY you can connect a cable from this Hub to a mobo 3-pin ARGB lighting header IF it has one and let the mobo control the lighting display. (To do this, you use an extra push on the hand-held box's On button to switch to mobo RGB light control.) But there is NO such provision for connecting any mobo fan speed control signal to the Hub. You can only control the speeds of those fans using the three speed buttons on the manual remote control box. So, if that is the system that came with your case, you have only the manual buttons fro fan speed control.

Regarding the RGB lighting effects in those fans, you do NOT have the required 3-pin ARGB header on that mobo to allow your mobo to control the lights in those fans. The header your mobo does have is the other type - a 4-pin plain RGB header - that can not send signals to any ARGB lighting system.

Sypher760

Reputable
Jul 25, 2019
The way I read the documents on this case and its fan systems, you can NOT use any mobo tools to control fan speeds. It appears the case comes with four of Rosewill's RGBF-12000x series fans. These contain RGB lighting units of the 3-pin ADDRESSABLE RGB type (not the plain 4-pin RGB type). Separately the fans are sold as a 3-pack with a Controller / Hub and a hand-held box for remote control manually. The fans each have a non-standard six-wire cable and connector to plug into the Controller/ Hub unit. That unit controls both the lighting displays and the fan speeds using the manual buttons on the remote control. Alternatively for the RGB LIGHTS ONLY you can connect a cable from this Hub to a mobo 3-pin ARGB lighting header IF it has one and let the mobo control the lighting display. (To do this, you use an extra push on the hand-held box's On button to switch to mobo RGB light control.) But there is NO such provision for connecting any mobo fan speed control signal to the Hub. You can only control the speeds of those fans using the three speed buttons on the manual remote control box. So, if that is the system that came with your case, you have only the manual buttons fro fan speed control.

Regarding the RGB lighting effects in those fans, you do NOT have the required 3-pin ARGB header on that mobo to allow your mobo to control the lights in those fans. The header your mobo does have is the other type - a 4-pin plain RGB header - that can not send signals to any ARGB lighting system.
Thanks for the information. I dont know what you mean by "manual remote control box". Is that part of the 3-pack of fans you were talking about?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes. See this web page

It shows a set under product no. RGBF-S12001 of three Dual-ring ARGB fans. Cycle through the photos and see that they come with a six-wire cable on each fan, a Controller / Hub with four six-pin Fan ports plus a 4-pin LED port on each side, and a hand-held Remote Control box. Single fans of this type are sold separately as product no. RGBF-S12002, I would hope that what comes with that case is the three-fan set with control modules plus a fourth fan.

On that web page if you click on the Downloads item you can download the instruction manual for the set of fans and control boxes.

Sypher760

Reputable
Jul 25, 2019
Yes. See this web page

It shows a set under product no. RGBF-S12001 of three Dual-ring ARGB fans. Cycle through the photos and see that they come with a six-wire cable on each fan, a Controller / Hub with four six-pin Fan ports plus a 4-pin LED port on each side, and a hand-held Remote Control box. Single fans of this type are sold separately as product no. RGBF-S12002, I would hope that what comes with that case is the three-fan set with control modules plus a fourth fan.

On that web page if you click on the Downloads item you can download the instruction manual for the set of fans and control boxes.
Ok, I understand. But unfortunately there is no remote that comes with the case. Do you know of a controller that I could by desperately that would work with these fans? Is there anyway I could gain control of the fans with an add-on of some sort?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check the fans you have. If they really are the ones I suspect with SIX wires from each ending in a female connector with 6 holes in a straight line, that is a non-standard system that you cannot expect to plug into any common controller. If the "hub" is as that web page illustrates, then that is how to power and control both the RGB lights and the fan speeds. BUT they certainly should have included with that system the hand-held remote control box with all the buttons. Contact Rosewill Tech support OR the seller you bought the case from and ask where the remote control box is. At minimum they should be able to sell you the exact box even if they claim it was not supposed to be included.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.