Can't copy a lrage (5GB) file to a USB flash drive

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hello Everybody:

I have a pretty large file (As mentioned in the title - 5GB).
I want to to transfer this file to a flash drive, and the error that appears says, that the file is to large for the drive itself.

Some important details:

*) Windows Vista

*) Two 8GB flash drives were tested and with both, the error appeared. (In general, with other files these flash drives work)

*) The file to be transferred is a video file.

*) The drives are completely empty, and were even formatted.

*) This problem occurs with several files at about the same size.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
That's right... Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about it somewhere...

Formatting the drive as NTFS causes another problem, which is, and correct me if I'm wrong, a DVD not being able to read from the drive (Formatted as NTFS).

If I'm right, and the DVD is really not able to read from the NTFS drive, what can I do?

Thank you.

The standard DVD file format has a VIDEO_TS folder and uses .VOB files which are broken up into 1GB chunks to avoid the 4GB size limitation. I'm pretty sure that if you export your video in this format and burn it to a FAT flash drive then the DVD player would be able to read it.

Jaimoen

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011

Problem solved for me mate.. Thanks a lot.. :) :hello:

Rohit Rajput

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Had the same issue. Changed the file system from FAT to NTFS and it worked fine.
To convert FAT to NTFS, right click the drive name of pendrive -> select Format -> File system type select NTFS.
If NTFS is not available (only FAT is available), then Right click at pen drive -> Click Properties -> Select Hardware tab & click properties -> Goto Policies Tab -> Select Optimise for Performance. Now you should have NTFS in Format menu.
Hope this helps

Bjones91451

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Thank you so much. I was getting so frustrated with this and you solved it for me!!!

gnawsguz

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Thanks for this!
I've solved my 4GB limit on FAT32 as easy as pie.
no need format my flash drive, so keeping the data in it...

Cheers!:bounce:

defaaja

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

Help .. i really need some advice here , cause i'm not a pro in using computare programs or include use command prompt, some body if you can help me please guide me with ur step slowly and detail as you can.

so this is my problem:

* I've film 4,96 GB

* My Flash disk only 8 GB

* I want to play my film on my Tv that has the usb socket ..

*1st Plan - i know some body will tell me " format ur Flash disk to NTFS then copy ur film, Finish " ok that's help , and work , but when i put it on my tv , it cant read my Flash disk . Then the problem come .. that i must still use the Fat32 setting but .. my film must go into it T.T

*2nd Plan - I've some good idea before .. that i'll split my film then i put in my flash disk , then i will join them in my flash disk .. ohh its very brilliant. But !!!! when i realize some little tiny fatal problem ,when i just realize after i copy the splitted film intoo fd .. My splitted film in my fd total size same as the film .. 4,96 GB , and if i join the splitted in the fd wow it will work 99% but i realize the film that has been joined will have 4,96 GB too ... O.O omg !!! 10GB !!! and my Fd 8gb T.T if my fd 16GB i guess my plan will work.. huft ( 2nd mission FAILED ! with splitting the file. (impossible) ).

*3nd Plan (compare with 1st plan) - when i was very frustated , i search in googe how to Change my Flash disk from NTFS that i've put my 4,96GB film to FAT32 .. W i t h o u t l o o s i n g A n y D a t a . .. OMG !! and prof. Google find it for me T_T im very thankfull to prof google >.< it show me some application that can convert NTFS partition to Fat32 without erase file inside it.

Then i start the operation of 3rd Plan .. i'm very happy at that time,.... when i going to convert my Flash disk from NTFS to Fat 32 with that app . it says .. " you cant convert because the file inside your disk is too Large T.T OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " f**K YOU!!! im very frustated again.. ( 3nd mission FAILED ! with 3rd party app to convert ).

* so what should i do now :'( .... then i come to this forum and look at the bottom comment when my face is very frustated .. i look that someone type this ..shiny word for me .

Use command CONVERT <drive>: /FS:NTFS on windows command prompt[/quotemsg]

Thanks for this!

.. what?? that's surprise me .. but i've no idea how to use that command T.T .. those advice is not STRONG! isn't detail for some newbie.. Somebody help :( how to use that command . to change my 8GB Flash disk that have a 4,96GB flm inside it with setting NTFS to Fat32 and i dont wanna disturb my file T.T .. are this command "CONVERT <drive>: /FS:NTFS" really command that i need? or what ? then can you help me some body ,show me the right step on the Command Promt in windows 7. to convert my fd from NTFS to FAT32 correctly. pleaseee. :'(

shorty2434

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
defaaja: Go to Windows Start icon --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Command Prompt

Once in Command Prompt, cut and paste or type: CONVERT <drive>: /FS:NTFS

Where it says <drive> you put which drive your USB stick is under. For example, if in the F drive you would type: CONVERT F: /FS:NTFS

Worked great for me, no need to reformat and delete files already on the USB stick.

guy1990

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
For any mac users having this issue change the format to the exFAT format and change the allocation unit size to the 8,192 bytes and it should work. Had this same issue the only other problem is I had to use my desktop to reformat the usb cause I did not know how to do it on my macbook.

Vasu Kumar

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

amu99

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

amu99

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Well, I came here looking for answer for same problem (5.74 GB file not getting copied to pen drive), and just formatted my 16 GB class 4 strontium pen drive to "NTFS", as suggested by others, and it did solve my problem, the file got copied to same pendrive after I formatted it to "NTFS", and plays on my samsung 3D bluray usb drive, samsung plasma usb drive, and on phillips led usb drive, so it should also work on regular DVD players USB drive after formatting it to "NTFS"

amu99

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

Thanx a ton, not just for the solution, but also for explaning, why the flash drive doesn't accept huge files, coz I thought flash drive being class 4 was the problem, SO THANX FOR THE EXPLANATION :love:

OH ! by the way it did solve the problem, THANX !!!! :love:

amu99

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

Thanks for this!

.. what?? that's surprise me .. but i've no idea how to use that command T.T .. those advice is not STRONG! isn't detail for some newbie.. Somebody help :( how to use that command . to change my 8GB Flash disk that have a 4,96GB flm inside it with setting NTFS to Fat32 and i dont wanna disturb my file T.T .. are this command "CONVERT <drive>: /FS:NTFS" really command that i need? or what ? then can you help me some body ,show me the right step on the Command Promt in windows 7. to convert my fd from NTFS to FAT32 correctly. pleaseee. :'([/quotemsg]

dude, i just did what all of the guys suggested, formatted my 16 GB class 4 Strontium pen drive to NTFS, and was able to move 5.74 GB sized movie onto it and it does play via TVs USB 2.0 port (means, tv does read the NTFS converted pen drive) on both, samsung plasma and on phillips led, even the samsung 3D bluray player reads it.

And for some reason if your tv isn't reading it, and you want your pen drive back to fat32, then first copy the 4.96 Gb file back on your PC, and formatt the pendrive back to Fat32.

And dude, why did you merge back the file ? you should spilt the file into 2 and copy it to the pendrive (Fat32) and let it be splitted, I had to format because none of the splitting/cutting softwares were able to cut my 5.74 GB file, if you can split your file, then you not need to format the pendrive from Fat32 to NTFS.

gaumzi

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
I wanted to transfer a big file from my friends computer but was not able to transfer as the pendrive was not accepting the file. So my friend suggested to change the format of the pendrive to NTFS.
The trick worked and I was able to transfer that file. But now the pendrive is stuck in that. I can't format it, can't add more files, can't change it back to FAT32.

It always says it is write protected.

Although I can see and copy the files from it but can't delete or add new files.

Help needed.

Thanks