[SOLVED] Can't download files when connected to ethernet?

Feb 14, 2021
Decided to run a network line down to my home office in the basement since I'll be working my real job from there for the foreseeable future. Purchased the cable, ran it to my router then computer to test it. Yes, it worked. Getting over 200mbs download speed vs. the 25 or so I was getting via wifi. But then after running the cable I noticed I could definitely surf the internet but can't download anything. I get an error 'couldn't download. network issue.' Here's my troubleshooting so far:

1. Turned wifi completely off on my PC while connected to the ethernet.
  2. Kept wifi turned on but still running from the ethernet,
  3. Restarted PC
  4. Restarted router.

Still, can surf really fast via ethernet but can't download a file. Any ideas? And thanks in advance.

Solution
What kind of cable did you buy. If it is that flat cable it has major issue going any real distance. That is why it is not certified to be used as ethernet cable.

One of the more simple test of a cable if you have 2 machines is to tranfer files between the machines in your house with both machines connected via ethernet. You will not get gigabit speed because of the file overhead but you should see 500mbps on large files. Watch the speed on the network tab of the resource monitor...be aware some values are in BYTES and other in BITS be careful.
D

Deleted member 14196

Is it just one site that you can’t download from or anywhere? Do you have steam installed? Can you install games from steam or GOG?

Post the exact error messages you are receiving here and also include the full specifications for your PC including what operating system you are running

Feb 14, 2021
Is it just one site that you can’t download from or anywhere? Do you have steam installed? Can you install games from steam or GOG?

Post the exact error messages you are receiving here and also include the full specifications for your PC including what operating system you are running

Hey, thank you for the response. I went through the whole reboot everything exercise a second time and now things appear to be working. I successfully downloaded things from three sites - two 4k video files and several font zipped files.

Feb 14, 2021
Hey everyone! Thank you for your prompt and friendly replies. It seems a second round of rebooting everything did the trick. And now this marketer knows where to ask questions when he thinks he can do networking but quickly realizes he's an amateur. :sneaky:

Decided to run a network line down to my home office in the basement since I'll be working my real job from there for the foreseeable future. Purchased the cable, ran it to my router then computer to test it. Yes, it worked. Getting over 200mbs download speed vs. the 25 or so I was getting via wifi. But then after running the cable I noticed I could definitely surf the internet but can't download anything. I get an error 'couldn't download. network issue.' Here's my troubleshooting so far:

1. Turned wifi completely off on my PC while connected to the ethernet.
  2. Kept wifi turned on but still running from the ethernet,
  3. Restarted PC
  4. Restarted router.
Still, can surf really fast via ethernet but can't download a file. Any ideas? And thanks in advance.

you should turn off wifi if connected via ethernet, you'll have address conflicts which probably prevented the initial download - it'll generate errors as well
Hey everyone! Thank you for your prompt and friendly replies. It seems a second round of rebooting everything did the trick. And now this marketer knows where to ask questions when he thinks he can do networking but quickly realizes he's an amateur. :sneaky:

Feb 14, 2021
Well, interestingly, the issue has returned. I can download large files via wifi but not via ethernet without getting a 'network error.' I can resume the downloads, often repeatedly, until it finishes but that's a pain. Just not sure where to go with this since otherwise my connection speed via ethernet is 220mbs download.

again - do NOT enable wifi while you have ethernet connected!
the address conflicts will result in slowness and errors like you've encountered. use either one NOT BOTH
Well, interestingly, the issue has returned. I can download large files via wifi but not via ethernet without getting a 'network error.' I can resume the downloads, often repeatedly, until it finishes but that's a pain. Just not sure where to go with this since otherwise my connection speed via ethernet is 220mbs download.

Feb 14, 2021
Thanks, Mr.Spock - I do turn my wifi off on my computer and it doesn't make a difference. Or do you mean turn wifi off house-wide for everyone?

again - do NOT enable wifi while you have ethernet connected!
the address conflicts will result in slowness and errors like you've encountered. use either one NOT BOTH

D

Deleted member 14196

I think that may be too long. No that’s not it I can go up to 328 feet can you test with another machine like a laptop at that port?

What kind of cable did you buy. If it is that flat cable it has major issue going any real distance. That is why it is not certified to be used as ethernet cable.

One of the more simple test of a cable if you have 2 machines is to tranfer files between the machines in your house with both machines connected via ethernet. You will not get gigabit speed because of the file overhead but you should see 500mbps on large files. Watch the speed on the network tab of the resource monitor...be aware some values are in BYTES and other in BITS be careful.

Solution