Question Can't enter bios (AsRock B550M Pro4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2021
Hello I have an ASRock B550M Pro4, and I am trying to enter the BIOS but can't manage to.
When booting I tried to continually press, f2, f10, f12, del. But none managed to get me into the bios. I have also tried using the AsRock restart into UEFI tools to see iof that would get me anywhere but when I use that tool after restart I only get a black screen. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here and how I can get myself into the BIOS? Thanks in advance.

I would also like to add that I didn't install / build this pc myself. It's the old pc of a friend who gave it to me.

I assume your system boots into Windows OK so from there you can restart into UEFI or BIOS:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enter-uefi-bios-windows-10-pcs

Another way is to force a boot failure by removing all the drives (disconnect the SATA cables). Actually, all you need is to disconnect the system drive cable if you know which it is. Another way to force boot failure is to reset CMOS.

Once in the BIOS find a setting for "Fast Startup" and disable it. There may be a setting to extend wait time for pressing the DEL key. None of these things are permanent: you can reconnect the system drive(s) and boot through to Windows 10 once you've found the BIOS setting. Restarting into UEFI (the first way above) is always an option too.

Jul 31, 2021
Thanks for the link. But when trying to restart into the BIOS I still end up with a black screen and nothing happens. I let it run for 40 minutes (just in case it might take a little longer for whatever reason) and it still remained black (made sure pc was still turned on).
I don't really feel like unplugging anything, so I'll try to reset CMOS.

Oct 5, 2021
Hi there,

I had the same issue, pressed delete on reboot where it seemed to stall, but then I think it was an issue with the video signal, as when I turn my TV to which the computer is connected off and then on again the BIOS screen is there.
I hope this is the same for you!

Feb 25, 2022
Hi there,

I had the same issue, pressed delete on reboot where it seemed to stall, but then I think it was an issue with the video signal, as when I turn my TV to which the computer is connected off and then on again the BIOS screen is there.
I hope this is the same for you!

Marcus, I had to go create an account just to thank you. That was exactly what was going on with me. Somehow it tricks the video feed and I was in BIOS the whole time not knowing it.

Another important note - When I did restart my main monitor it wasn't there either, but my secondary monitor (I have 3) had the BIOS up on it when I kicked it on

Great and simple fix!

Enjoy

Reactions: Marcus_Handikus
Oct 5, 2021
Marcus, I had to go create an account just to thank you. That was exactly what was going on with me. Somehow it tricks the video feed and I was in BIOS the whole time not knowing it.

Another important note - When I did restart my main monitor it wasn't there either, but my secondary monitor (I have 3) had the BIOS up on it when I kicked it on

Great and simple fix!

Enjoy

Glad to hear it helped you too, Beezy!
Bizarre behaviour, and I am sure there must be an explanation as to why, but at least we can get around it.

Feb 24, 2022
Connecting it to a TV did it for me too. I also have a b550, but the MSI B550-A Pro instead and it was having the same going into Windows but not showing BIOS. Seems like a design flaw for the b550 in general cause you'd think resetting the CMOS would let you get video feed from anything, but I had to manually switch to CSM just to get it to pop up on my monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.