[SOLVED] Can't Fix DPC Watchdog Violation BSoD

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
First of all pardon me for my bad english typing.

SPEC:
B450M Mortar Max (brandnew)
Ryzen 3 3100 (not overclocked, brandnew)
8GB HyperX Fury 2666mhz (overclocked, set to auto again, brand new)
240GB western digital hard drive (reused from old pc)
CoolerMaster MWE 550 White (brand new)
GT220 (reused from old pc)

Recently, a BSoD troubles me like daily basis at some point for nearly two weeks now. I've already researched about this blue screen called DPC Watchdog Violation and had done numerous troubleshooting steps before this post. The problem is that every website tells me it's about SSD driver or compatibility issue with windows 10, well im using the good old harddrive and no SSD connected.

Steps taken:
  1. Changed/Updated IDE ATA/ATAPI controller drivers. (the tutorial usually recommended online via Device Manager)
  2. Removing 3200mhz RAM overclock and setting back to auto and voltage to 1.2v.
  3. Updating all drivers
  4. Disabling fast boot and fast startup
  5. Updating Windows
  6. Cleaning PC and fixing registry (through ccleaner)
  7. Performing system file checker scan now command on cmd. Did found corrupted files and corrected but still having BSoD after.
  8. Performing CHKDSK C: /F /R on startup to auto fix issues (pretty long process).
  9. Updating motherboard Bios to latest
  10. Checking disk health via Hard Disk Sentinel and it says 100% health (not so sure about this software)
After all of these it's still crashing and go BSOD.

So I've performed clean uninstall of graphics card driver in safemode (via DDU) and installed latest for the said old GPU since there's a punctuation mark on Nvidia icon. Still waiting for the BSoD though but I admit i'm doubting this step and might encounter another one. The error usually occur when i use my Autodesk Sketchbook software while watching a documentary on VLC player. But sometimes it happens in game too like in Dota 2 matches.

Connected devices are:
A4tech USB Mouse
Generic USB Keyboard
Drawing Tablet (updated the driver to latest too)
Generic Headset
USB Desktop Speaker

Thank you in advance to those knowledgeable people that might be able to answer my question. I don't really want to do a clean windows install this early as this is for work computer and i will be needing to reinstall all adobe programs and sketching softwares again not to mention work files i need to redownload again on cloud.

EDIT: It boots and i can use the computer. It just BSoD from time to time.

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I am assuming you have two sticks of 4gb ram. Try using on stick at a time to see if one of them is bad.

Are you sure? It seems fine and i can literally use it right now. I've seen many problematic RAMs and this one doesn't look like a RAM problem and it's brand new bought like 3 months ago. Besides, it'll be hard to test it as the BSoD only comes from time to time and not every boot so how can i do that if it's the case? memtest?

BTW, the last troubleshoot i've done which is DDU-ing the graphics card driver have not come into result yet as im still waiting for the BSoD but seems it stopped after that. I'll update here in case the blue screen came back.

Also running memtest86 rights now because of your post. Will be back after couple of hours testing.

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
rfl7u6o.jpg

DVJK9JT.jpg

@Fix_that_Glitch Both RAM seated passed a 1 hour 40 minutes MemTest86 hammering 4 out of 4 without any errors. I doubt it's the RAM.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
So it sounds like your driver update did the trick. Hope it stays that way keep me posted.

Same error, DPC Watchdog Violation persisted and came back after some time. It's really interesting. I noticed my power plan reverts back to "balanced" from "high performance". Tried deleting the AMD power plan and used the good old windows power plan and it still reverted back to "balanced" again.

This time it happened again via 1) in-game playing Dota 2 and 2) sketching using Autodesk Sketchbook while watching VLC.. again.

Is it possible that my very old graphics card is causing this? I'm still yet to buy a new one and the overpriced market is hindering me from doing that as of now.

Yes so somewhere you have a hardware driver that is acting up. Go in to device manager and try to install a new driver for each piece of hardware manually. If it says you have best driver installed move on to next one. As far as balanced returning from high performance, what version of windows do you have win 10 home? Yo-u can also try disconnecting one piece of hardware that is attached externally and see if the bsod stops. Then you know which one to work on.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Yes so somewhere you have a hardware driver that is acting up. Go in to device manager and try to install a new driver for each piece of hardware manually. If it says you have best driver installed move on to next one. As far as balanced returning from high performance, what version of windows do you have win 10 home? Yo-u can also try disconnecting one piece of hardware that is attached externally and see if the bsod stops. Then you know which one to work on.

I run the latest windows version. Ok I'll try replacing my headset as I feel like it might be the reason why, I've heard headsets can also cause this issue but i'm not really sure. It has some cable damage but it's working properly.

I'll also try clean reinstalling each crucial drivers. Do you think it's the AMD Chipset driver? I got it from MSI's website. I remember it's the one responsible for AMD power plan i deleted. Thank you so much for your help.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I didn't see the info where you say there is an exclamation mark next to your NVidia Icon. Where is this exactly?

Taskbar. The nvidia icon used to have exclamation point but was fixed by DDU.. It fixed the issue temporarily and it came back after a week or two, i forgot. Haven't got the time to reinstall every driver has I have a work to do but will keep you posted soon. What's bugging me out right now is the issue of power plan returning to "balanced" after setting it to high performance. Just recently noticed it.

Will keep you posted after doing reinstall of drivers specially the AMD Chipset Driver.

Taskbar. The nvidia icon used to have exclamation point but was fixed by DDU.. It fixed the issue temporarily and it came back after a week or two, i forgot. Haven't got the time to reinstall every driver has I have a work to do but will keep you posted soon. What's bugging me out right now is the issue of power plan returning to "balanced" after setting it to high performance. Just recently noticed it.

Will keep you posted after doing reinstall of drivers specially the AMD Chipset Driver.
Ok go in to hardware and sound, device manage, click on display adapter is there any warning symbol, and when you click on the adapter does it say this device is working properly?

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Ok go in to hardware and sound, device manage, click on display adapter is there any warning symbol, and when you click on the adapter does it say this device is working properly?

RSz0G1w.png

uFzESC8.png

Nothing unusual or with alert marks, properties says they are all working properly. I already bought a new headset for this BSoD but still problem persist. I noticed that a persisting notification pops up sometimes that says "which device i plugged in, headphone or speaker" something like that. Like it's disconnecting and reconnected of some sort without me plugging it in and out.

Already reinstalled AMD Chipset Driver and the power plan reverting back to "balanced" still persist. Haven't yet got time to reinstall all other driver as of now i'm taking my time as I have work to attend usually. But windows crashed in Dota 2 earlier. I can use my computer normally tho.

Is it possible the front panel audio ports are faulty and causing this issue? This audio notif persisted even with my former headset.

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
DPC Watchdog Violation is a blue screen error that appears on the Windows system. It's usually occurred due to specific reasons, like unsupported SSD firmware, old SSD driver version, hardware incompatibility issues, or if system files are corrupted. You can try the below solutions to fix the issue:

1. Remove all connected external drives
  2. Change SATA AHCI Controller
  3. Check Corrupted System Files on Computer
  4. Update Disk Driver
  5. Check and Fix Disk Errors
  6. Remove any newly installed software
Hope it will resolve your issue!

I'm using the good old hard drive. Still on my checklist of upgrades in the coming months. All of the above are already taken into action and no fruit at all. That includes Chkdsk, SFC scannow, registry clean, disk health check, changing sata ahci controller, no external drives. Just some working usb devices like Drawing Tablet, mouse, keyboard, headset (replaced already), camera, external speaker and that's it, all of them are working.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

Ok so here's the thing, i've found the culprit regarding power plan resetting to balanced. It's the MSI Center which controls my mystic light, etc. I've traced it through "msconfig>>services" by disabling services one by one per manufacturer. Uninstalled it via Revo Uninstaller and deleted every left over files and registry entries and it's not reverting back to "balanced".

Looks like this is the one responsible for the DPC Watchdog Violation crashes in game. Will get back here after monitoring a week or more :) So happy right now and didn't know that this MSI Center or Dragon Center is garbage.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Ok so here's the thing, i've found the culprit regarding power plan resetting to balanced. It's the MSI Center which controls my mystic light, etc. I've traced it through "msconfig>>services" by disabling services one by one per manufacturer. Uninstalled it via Revo Uninstaller and deleted every left over files and registry entries and it's not reverting back to "balanced".

Looks like this is the one responsible for the DPC Watchdog Violation crashes in game. Will get back here after monitoring a week or more :) So happy right now and didn't know that this MSI Center or Dragon Center is garbage.
Every day we learn something from exchanging problems and ideas.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
DPC Violation is a blue screen error that appears on the Windows system. It's usually occurred due to specific reasons, like unsupported SSD firmware, old SSD driver version, hardware incompatibility issues, or if system files are corrupted. You can try the below solutions to fix the issue:

1. Remove all connected external drives
  2. Change SATA AHCI Controller
  3. Check Corrupted System Files on Computer
  4. Update Disk Driver
  5. Check and Fix Disk Errors
  6. Remove any newly installed software
Hope it will resolve your issue.

Yes as of my recent update, it looks like MSI Center is acting up. Solved the power plan issues and might also be the problem causing DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD. Thank you. Will update if BSoD returned but as of now, everything is perfect. As of no. 1-5 all of them are already ruled out via extensive troubleshooting. I dont have SSD right now.

TRENDING THREADS