[SOLVED] Can't get memory speed over 2400mhz?

Apr 6, 2021
Hey, I recently upgraded my CPU from i7-6700 to i7-7700K and now when I switch memory speed from BIOS with XMP to 3200, my pc won't start. It only lets me go up to 2400, and after that it won't start again. I've tried with different voltages as well but with no results. Also after this upgrade, my 2nd monitor won't open either. Tried it with a DVI to motherboard and DisplayPort to GPU.

Solution
Pull up your motherboard manual and check which slots you should put just a single chip in. Set your bios to default.
Download and burn a usb stick with Memtest86
Boot to the usb stick with Memtest86 and allow it to run it's tests on that single stick.
Repeat for however many sticks you have. 1 at a time!

You are looking for errors. If you get none, continue, otherwise you have bad ram or mboard or cpu.

Yes, a bad CPU can cause memory to a) become damaged b)even with good ram a bad cpu can cause problems with memory. (I just had one a few months back)

Start w/ memtest

fyi: memtest is not a fast test. for reference, my 32GB modules in my kit took 9+ hours per stick to run.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Pull up your motherboard manual and check which slots you should put just a single chip in. Set your bios to default.
Boot to the usb stick with Memtest86 and allow it to run it's tests on that single stick.

You are looking for errors. If you get none, continue, otherwise you have bad ram or mboard or cpu.

Yes, a bad CPU can cause memory to a) become damaged b)even with good ram a bad cpu can cause problems with memory. (I just had one a few months back)

Start w/ memtest

fyi: memtest is not a fast test. for reference, my 32GB modules in my kit took 9+ hours per stick to run.

Solution

Start w/ memtest

Correct, this is why i would advise him to try a differnt (known to work) kit