[SOLVED] Can't get more than 100Mbps download speed on a 200Mbps connection

rembranded

Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
Hi,

I've been wrestling with this issue for quite a while now. I previously had an internet connection for 100Mbps, which my ISP recently upgraded to 200Mbps as part of the same plan. While the plan upgrade seems to be working fine, it isn't resulting in boosted speeds.

So, here are the details.

In terms of my PC, I'm running the latest Windows 10 with a wired connection, but the wiring itself is a bit indirect. The copper from the ISP connects into the modem/router, which is a TP-Link Archer 5 (ISP provided) and is in the living room. From the living room, I have internal Cat5e cabling through the house walls to my bedroom, where the wire is then connected to an unmanaged switch, which is a TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-port Gigabit Ethernet switch. This switch exists only so that I can then distribute this wired connection to my PS4 and PC (and perhaps other devices in the future). Here's a very rudimentary diagram of what this looks like: View: https://imgur.com/v5KiMEA
(I'm not able to inline insert images)

Back to my motherboard, which is an ASRock Z360 Gaming K6, which supports Intel Gigabit Networking, there seem to be no issues there and the network connection manager shows the full 1.0Gbps speed detected. Proof here: View: https://imgur.com/NfJ5kwk

Finally, since it's an Intel ethernet adapter, I also ran a few basic checks using the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility. The results seem to be fine:

Cable Test Results [29-12-2020 09:47:30 PM] :
Cable Quality Status : Passed
Cable quality is excellent.
Cable Integrity Status : Passed
No cable problems detected.
_
Connection Test Results [29-12-2020 09:47:50 PM] :
Connection Status : Passed
Successfully pinged Gateway address 192.168.0.1
Cable Link Status : Passed
This adapter is running at full speed.
_
Hardware Test Results [29-12-2020 09:47:53 PM] :
Register Status :passed
FIFO Status :passed
Interrupt Status :passed
Loopback Test(s) :passed

Finally, my adapter speed is set to Auto-Negotiation, so there shouldn't be an issue here too.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of internal wiring between my modem and switch, I'm not in a position to changes cables there, but I have tried swapping out cables between my switch and PC to no avail. I've also tried to connect my work laptop using the same cables to the modem/router directly. If I do a speed test with this setup, I get the full 200Mbps speed, so my ISP has basically given up on me, stating there is no issue at their end, and only at my end (which is understandable).

Apart from cable changes themselves, is there anything else you can recommend I try before I give up on this entire exercise and accept 100Mbps as my fate?

So why do you think the connection between the switch and your PC is 100mbps. What is the display you posted that show gigabit. If that is from your PC then the pc thinks it has a gigiabit between the pc and the switch.

Not sure what abilties your equipment has. Can you tell id the connection between the switch and the router is running gigabit. Sometime you can tell by the light colors. Your router may also have some status screen that shows the speed of each of the lan ports.

It would be very common for a wall port to do this especially if it has never been run at gigabit before. You need to check that the jacks are wired correctly on both ends. Depending on the jack you might be able to just pull the wires out cut a bit off and punch them down again. Some jacks to not require a punch down tool. If you are extremely careful to not press on the center of the connectors you can use a small screw driver to punch down wires.

rembranded

Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
Hi, sorry about my late responses:

So why do you think the connection between the switch and your PC is 100mbps. What is the display you posted that show gigabit. If that is from your PC then the pc thinks it has a gigiabit between the pc and the switch.

Not sure what abilties your equipment has. Can you tell id the connection between the switch and the router is running gigabit. Sometime you can tell by the light colors. Your router may also have some status screen that shows the speed of each of the lan ports.

It would be very common for a wall port to do this especially if it has never been run at gigabit before. You need to check that the jacks are wired correctly on both ends. Depending on the jack you might be able to just pull the wires out cut a bit off and punch them down again. Some jacks to not require a punch down tool. If you are extremely careful to not press on the center of the connectors you can use a small screw driver to punch down wires.

The picture I posted is indeed from my PC, so yes it seems to be negotiating 1Gbps speeds with my switch. Unfortunately, my switch does not have a management interface as it is an unmanaged switch. I checked my router interface too and the closest to this sort of problem I could find was to do with 'Bandwidth Control', which isn't set either. The lights on my ports are glowing yellow (as best I can describe them) and seem to be consistent with Gigabit speeds. Unfortunately, cutting down the wires and crimping them again isn't my forte and I don't have the equipment for it. I'll have to see if I can get someone to do it.

Ok tell us which ethernet cable you are using ?
Also this maybe of some help as well.

I'm using a generic ethernet cable (nothing brand-specific). When we were wiring the house, we bought a large spool of Cat5e cables for the internal wiring. I'm afraid those are the only details I have.

I was afraid it might be an internal wiring issue, which is going to be a huge pain to resolve, so I wanted to exhaust other options before I resigned myself to my fate. Well, I'll see if I can get someone to rewire the house once I have sufficient funds :(

Do not use the wire listed in the previous post it is fake cable. Both cables use 30 gauge wire which instantly disqualifies them. The standard says the cable MUST be 22-24 awg. If it is not it is not a certified cable.

It doesn't matter you don't need anything better. Cat5e cable is rated to 1gbit at 100 meters. It will work fine buying more expensive cable buys you nothing. It does not run faster, the speed is controlled by the port.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Tad confused, is the laptop the computer with the asrock motherboard or is that a desktop? can you test the laptop where the desktop is and see what you get off the cables? Or is the laptop getting 200 wireless?

Most of the time when a cat X cable fails it was either stapled through [if you stapled them] or the ends are wrong/punched down wrong. one wire a tad too short or off to the side too much and you just made a problem. I would re-end my cat5e [on both ends] first then retry it. before I ran all new wires unless you are just bored in covid isolation and need something to do.