Question Can't get my full 3200Mhz on My RYZEN 7 2700x Build

cdrabun89

Honorable
May 13, 2016
As the title states, I can't seem to overclock my ram safely to the proper speed. My specs are as listed below

MOBO: Asus x470 F
CPU: RYZEN 7 2700X (Water cooled and overclocked to 4.10Ghz
RAM: Corsair RGB Vengeance 3200Mhz DDR4 16 GB (2x8GB)
PSU: EVGA 1000w
GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080

So Here's what I've tried:
  1. Manually setting voltage, timing and Frequency in bios(going by the sticker on the RAM, Voltage at 1.35, timing set to 16-18-18-36, and of course frequency 3200Mhz. This set up fails to boot every single time.
  2. Dialing it back to 3000Mhz with all other settings above. Boots but crashes/freezes/complete lock up shortly after running I try to run any game+obs/Streamlabs
  3. Enabling the D.O.C.P.(AMD's version of XMP) to auto setup everything(which by the way is the exact same settings that you see in my first attempt). Results in booting, and stability, but my clock speeds are stuck at 2133Mhz.
  4. Dialing back from 3000Mhz to each preset below,(2800,2666)etc. Each getting the same exact result as my second attempt(boot then crash) until I reached 2400Mhz at 1.35 volts, which seems to be stable

Now I have read that adjusting the timing to "tighter" settings will allow me to achieve the fabled 3200Mhz on a Ryzen build. But I am honestly a noob at overclocking RAM. I have read that memtest86+ can help me get good timing, but i can't figure out how to get that working either.

So my question is this: is timing the only way I'm going to achieve that goal of 3200Mhz(if so can someone share a link on how to get memtest86+ working properly) or is there another way that I'm not seeing? I know that RYZEN builds are notorious for having RAM issues, but I have also read of people getting these goal with no issue.

That RAM is not listed on the tested 3200MHz kits for that motherboard (QVL), so 2400MHz might be the top speed you could get.
Is the motherboard BIOS up to date? That could help.
Memtest86+ just helps testing RAM for stability. You could do the same with Prime95, if the RAM isn't stable it will hang or crash.

I don't know which model you have, but I was able to get the LPX running @ 3200MHz with 16-18-18-36 timings and 1.4v.
It also could run @ 2933MHz without changing voltage.

cdrabun89

Honorable
May 13, 2016
That RAM is not listed on the tested 3200MHz kits for that motherboard (QVL), so 2400MHz might be the top speed you could get.
Is the motherboard BIOS up to date? That could help.
Memtest86+ just helps testing RAM for stability. You could do the same with Prime95, if the RAM isn't stable it will hang or crash.

I don't know which model you have, but I was able to get the LPX running @ 3200MHz with 16-18-18-36 timings and 1.4v.
It also could run @ 2933MHz without changing voltage.

Bios update is one of the first things I did cause the rgb on the io shield wasn't working. I guess I'll have to look up suitable ram for the mobo if things don't change and just give those off to my wife's rig. She needs an upgrade anyway.