I have a laptop with a high speed wireless connection. XP says I have an
excellent signal and am logged on. When I start IE6, OE6 (for newsgroups),
or Outlook2000 that all tell me they can't connect. Any ideas?
PS I'm sure this has something to do with it (can't be a coincidence). I
just reformatted the HD & reinstalled XP & Office 2000. Haven't been able
to get on since. I also installed Service Pack 2 at the same time. Outlook
& IE6 are setup to use the LAN connection but they can't find it even though
XP says I am logged on (the desktop gets on fine so I know the service is
working fine).

Thanks in advance... Bob

You must configure the firewall to allow the programs that
need to connect to the network to do so. You are logged on
your user account, you need to open the security center and
then the firewall. (there are other ways to get there, but
the security center is a good start.)

Also, your wireless WAP may be looking for your old logon,
when you did a clean install your settings probably changed.
Check your WAP/router settings.

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message

| I have a laptop with a high speed wireless connection. XP
says I have an
| excellent signal and am logged on. When I start IE6, OE6
(for newsgroups),
| or Outlook2000 that all tell me they can't connect. Any
ideas?
| PS I'm sure this has something to do with it (can't be a
coincidence). I
| just reformatted the HD & reinstalled XP & Office 2000.
Haven't been able
| to get on since. I also installed Service Pack 2 at the
same time. Outlook
| & IE6 are setup to use the LAN connection but they can't
find it even though
| XP says I am logged on (the desktop gets on fine so I know
the service is
| working fine).
|
| Thanks in advance... Bob

I tried shutting off the firewall completely and I still couldn't get out.
I never made any settings when I originally installed. I just plugged it in
& it worked fine. If I can't get it resolved tonight I am going to call
Linksys (router mfg) in the morning.

Bob

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> in news:OqXed.14964$EZ.14235@okepread07:

> If I can't get it resolved tonight I am going to call
> Linksys (router mfg) in the morning.

Have you tried pinging mail, smtp, nntp, the web address (cox.net has regional domains)?

If not getting through, try the "Raw" ip numbers for the domain names...

Here's sample of my Ping.bat
echo. |date |find "Current" >> YahooMailPing.Log
echo. Ping IP & Yahoo WebMail >> YahooMailPing.Log
Ping us.f177.mail.yahoo.com>> YahooMailPing.Log
Rem same, by IP:
Ping 202.43.201.239>> YahooMailPing.Log

I haven't tried that but I think that I've covered that base. I called Cox
Cable's tech support for help. They "reset" the modem (kind of like
rebooting the computer) and they said everything was fine on their end, they
could see me getting to them.

Bob

<MsOsWin@anon.com> wrote in message
> "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> in news:OqXed.14964$EZ.14235@okepread07:
>
> > If I can't get it resolved tonight I am going to call
> > Linksys (router mfg) in the morning.
>

> Have you tried pinging mail, smtp, nntp, the web address (cox.net has
regional domains)?

> If not getting through, try the "Raw" ip numbers for the domain names...
>
> Here's sample of my Ping.bat
> echo. |date |find "Current" >> YahooMailPing.Log
> echo. Ping IP & Yahoo WebMail >> YahooMailPing.Log
> Ping us.f177.mail.yahoo.com>> YahooMailPing.Log
> Rem same, by IP:
> Ping 202.43.201.239>> YahooMailPing.Log

I will call Linksys to check the router but I think I eliminated that as the
problem. I went over to the local coffee shop with hotspot service, again
XP said I was logged on with a strong signal but again the programs (IE6,
Outlook 2000, OE6) couldn't find it. Then I did the ultimate, I also have
dialup service with AT&T WorldNet. It wouldn't even access over the hard
line although XP again said that I was connected via the dial up service.
Whatever it is I would think it was part of XP, but something that would
effect all the programs. I am not experienced in this but I would think
that there would be a very limited number of thing that could cause such a
problem

Bob