[SOLVED] Can't get port forwading through 2 routers to work using dmz.

rag0n

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello I'm trying to set a dedicated server on my pc. I have I main modem router in the 192.168.1.x subnet and a second router in the 192.168.0.x subnet.

I have set dmz on the first router so my second one gets a public ip in the WAN and i think that solves the port forwanding issue from the first router to the second.

Now in the second router i have forwarded the ports i need to the ip of my pc running the server but it doesn't seem to work.
No players can connect outside my lan and port checking tools find the ports closed.

The second router is a tp-link archer c1200 v2.
My isp doesn't block any ports and i have disabled the firewalls on the routers and the pc.
Can you please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

screenshots from my configuration

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Not sure what you did. All the ip on the wan part of the screen are invalid, maybe you did more than just try to cover them. The masks and gateways will not work.

So the way it should work is.

ISP----wan ip--router1--192.168.1.1==dmz==>192.168.1.x(wan) router 2----192.168.0.1-----forward rules==>

This should work but I would always test with the pc in place of the second router. This way you check that the DMZ setting actually are working.
Trying to figure out how exactly you have both routers connected, but with multiple routers I try not to mix subnets or anything.

I will set the first router to be say, 192.168.0.1, and start giving out IP's in the range of 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.255. This leaves 192.168.0.2 - 9 available for router(s). The 2nd router I will turn of DHCP so it doesn't try to hand out IP's, that way only 1 router on the system is doing the IP work. The 2nd router gets a manual IP address set of 192.168.0.2 , and the two routers are connected through the LAN ports. I have a big house and to have WIFI all around, I use multiple routers setup in this fashion. Currently have 4 running with no issues including my roommate who streams on Twitch, hosts servers, etc.

rag0n

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
The routers are in different houses and are connected with airmax antenas. Each house has multiple routers in the same subnet as you say with only those 2 beeing dhcp servers. i cant use the same subnet because the second router is gigabit and i need gigabit lan in house 2.

Not sure what you did. All the ip on the wan part of the screen are invalid, maybe you did more than just try to cover them. The masks and gateways will not work.

So the way it should work is.

ISP----wan ip--router1--192.168.1.1==dmz==>192.168.1.x(wan) router 2----192.168.0.1-----forward rules==>

This should work but I would always test with the pc in place of the second router. This way you check that the DMZ setting actually are working.

Reactions: rag0n
Solution

rag0n

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
the moment i set my second router to dmz it took my public ip address directly from the main router (the ip of the second router matches my public ip address) isn't that right?

That is not how the DMZ setting works in most routers. It really is just another form of port forwarding rule that says send all ports to the ip you specify. There is still nat involved. The main router still owns the IP on the wan port.

If you set it to bridge mode it might work that way but then the main router would not allow anyone to connect to or use it. It would be running as a modem.

Reactions: rag0n