Question I can't get the power button to work on new Fractal case ?

Feb 17, 2024
My new Fractal case has two leads coming from the case control board area(ignoring other leads that are not responsible here)
AUDIO, with about 5-7 pins that I havnt yet plugged in
Power SW, with 2 pins, That Ive tried plugging and rotating numerous times into my Asus Maximus Extreme VI Motherboard header pins at bottom right

What is there left to try?

Motherboard : ASUS Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard Review - Overclockers

kanewolf

Titan
My new Fractal case has two leads coming from the case control board area(ignoring other leads that are not responsible here)
AUDIO, with about 5-7 pins that I havnt yet plugged in
Power SW, with 2 pins, That Ive tried plugging and rotating numerous times into my Asus Maximus Extreme VI Motherboard header pins at bottom right

What left is there to try?

Motherboard : ASUS Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard Review - Overclockers
Page 1-44 in the user's manual -- https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-EXTREME/E8442_Maximus_VI_Extreme.pdf shows the pins. Middle pair on the edge of the board in the front panel connector section.
If connecting there doesn't work, you may have to test the switch with a multimeter.

Last edited:
Reactions: klwiley07
Feb 17, 2024
@kanewolf

ive been putting my power sw lead in the dual slots directly below the red mark in the following image.

When you say middle pair on the edge of the board, are you meaning the two pins directly below the blue marking on the pic?

tt.png

ive been putting my power sw lead in the dual slots directly below the red mark in the following image.
When you say middle pair on the edge of the board, are you meaning the two pins directly below the blue marking on the pic?
Can't you read the manual?
dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-EXTREME/E8442_Maximus_VI_Extreme.pdf?model=MAXIMUS VI EXTREME

IDE_LED - means HDD/SSD activity light.
PWRSW - means power switch.

images

Last edited:

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Maybe for some people. It is a direct link to the PDF with an asus.com domain, not defined as a link but just inline text.
DNS difference? Browser difference? IPv4 vs IPv6 ? I don't have an explanation.
I noticed the tradedoubler part of the URL too and was puzzled by it.

Fractal sometimes doesn't label the front panel wires very clearly. The power button cable had me confused as well. I knew where it ought to go, but wasn't 100% sure.

Not cool to have to hook up wires and cross your fingers you did it right.

The good news is that you can't damage anything if you connect the wrong wires.
The front panel wires are not always labelled well.

If the led does not light, reverse the + and minus leads.

It is amusing to connect a led wire to the reset pins, for instance

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
The good news is that you can't damage anything if you connect the wrong wires.
The front panel wires are not always labelled well.

If the led does not light, reverse the + and minus leads.

It is amusing to connect a led wire to the reset pins, for instance
Lots of amusement with Fractals. Some cases don't have a reset button or cable. So the pins will stay naked forever. The North is one such case.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Lots of amusement with Fractals. Some cases don't have a reset button or cable. So the pins will stay naked forever. The North is one such case.
All the FD cases I have used and built with have been clearly labeled and it's more than just a few.

EDIT for the case you have.
https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/reviews/06kyAM0ivA5VTsAQ1R8foZa-14.fit_lim.size_1152x.jpg

His words Power SW, with 2 pins. If you don't know how to read the motherboard manual it's your problem not a motherboard or case problem.

For cases not having a reset switch I see no use in one or a HDD activity LED.

EDIT After more thought a reset switch can be handy if the power switch fails just hook it to the boards power switch pins and use the reset switch to turn on the PC.

Last edited:

Latest posts