Question Can't install a program; says "an error occured while attempting to create the directory ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritz2467

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
i've been trying to install hotspot shield for the past few days. it says"an error occured while attempting to create the directory: c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu". I tried one solution wherein i changed permissions of the start menu folder to full control but to no avail. my laptop is win 10 64 bit.

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes, the folder exists, I was just about wonder why it is trying to make that folder.
How old is the program as it likely should be making a folder in c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\Programs - I expect a system controlled user owns that folder.

I can't find any errors like this for this program, most of the advice I found was how to remove it.

ritz2467

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
yes, the folder exists, I was just about wonder why it is trying to make that folder.
How old is the program as it likely should be making a folder in c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\Programs - I expect a system controlled user owns that folder.

I can't find any errors like this for this program, most of the advice I found was how to remove it.

the problem happened again. this time when i tried installing vegas pro 14.0. screenshot of it: View: https://imgur.com/a/IGHkqha

Colif

Win 11 Master
is your current user an admin? That would likely be a permissions error, you shouldn't have needed to have changed any permissions on that folder to install a program though, you should have it already. I hope that change of full control isn't going to come back and bite you. If trusted installer doesn't have access to that folder, you won't be able to install anything.

ritz2467

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
is your current user an admin? That would likely be a permissions error, you shouldn't have needed to have changed any permissions on that folder to install a program though, you should have it already. I hope that change of full control isn't going to come back and bite you. If trusted installer doesn't have access to that folder, you won't be able to install anything.

i must add that i did change permissions because of the same problem but different error/dialog coming up and followed most of the methods described here https://windowsreport.com/installer-has-insufficient-privileges-to-access-directory-windows-10/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Avast, even if you are a subscriber, are always sending emails to their users advertising things and begging for money, so i heard they also sell your email addresses as well.

I prefer Bitdefender, it just sits in the background and doesn't ask for anything except for if its warning you of something or that your sub is due for renewal and here is a discount...

Malwarebytes sells itself as all round protection but its better to have a few different programs in case one misses something.

As per the screenshot seen in your post, we can clearly establish that this is a pirated software issue, and we do not help anybody with issues resulting from the use of pirated software EXCEPT when they are trying to legitimately activate a pirated version of windows with a genuine license. For pirated software and questions, we cannot help, but I can say this is likely 100% of your problem. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS