Question Cant make laptop's audio work even if it says it's working ?

VirusWar

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
Have to make a post because everything I searched and read is usually correlated to some mediocre stuff, like the driver going bad or the service shutting down.

I think I got a bad sound card (circuit) on the laptop. Its a Lenovo 300 (15), running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
A friend called me saying he has no audio. I went and did all the standard troubleshooting.
Computer says everything is okay, drivers working and even have the visual bar going up and down in the volume control when something is playing.
Here is what I tried and what happened.
  • Using headphones - still not working
  • Driver reinstall - still not working
  • Checked services, all are enabled and without errors - still not working
  • Connecting with HDMI and using it - not working on TV
  • Using a ReLoop BeatMix 2 connected with USB and rerouted audio through there - still nothing on external speakers
  • Booting a Mint Linux to just see if it'll do something - still not working
  • Using an AudioRelay app to connect to the phone and play audio there - this actually works
I'm quite certain that the audio card (or whatever is in a laptop) is not working for whatever reason. How can I confirm this, since the driver manager is displaying the driver to be working normally.
Is there anything I could do to test it further and things I could try to do?
If you need any more information, ask.

Thank you.

VirusWar

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
That is true but it wouldn't explain why it would not work via HDMI, nor via mixer, since the mixer has its own audio-out ports and it's connected to the laptop with a single USB cable (tried all the holes, because I also suspected the side board not working).

I'll try to buy a new side board with audio ports, I would it, its like 5$, worth a shot.
The thing that bothers me is what I mentioned, why other ways that don't go over 3,5mm port don't work as well either ?