[SOLVED] Can't merge partitions

Zaedalzayed

Prominent
May 12, 2019
Hello, i have an HDD with 126GB Unallocated space, whenever i try to merge or even create simple volume, it says that i don't have enough space on disk(s), i have 193GB free out of the 804GB
since the unallocated space is on the left i tried easeUS but it shows that the hdd is already taking the whole thing and i can't move it to the left.
How can i fix this without losing data?

7HlX1Qs.png

xWUzyO8.png

Last edited:
Solution
i tried easeUS but it shows that the hdd is already taking the whole thing and i can't move it to the left.
All your problems are because your disk has been converted to Dynamic. Software versions you're using have problems operating with dynamic disks.

1. Copy data from H: to somewhere else.
  2. Delete all partitions from Disk 0
  3. Convert Disk 0 to basic
  4. Create single large partition and copy data back.
And do not do partition merging/moving without having backup for your data first. This type of operation can end up very badly.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Hello, i have an HDD with 126GB Unallocated space, whenever i try to merge or even create simple volume, it says that i don't have enough space on disk(s), i have 193GB free out of the 804GB
since the unallocated space is on the left i tried easeUS but it shows that the hdd is already taking the whole thing and i can't move it to the left.

7HlX1Qs.png

xWUzyO8.png

It's a non adjacent partition. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard . I find it is the best program and you can use the free version to resize/merge partitions. Tutorial can be found online or using this video

View: https://youtu.be/9HGLslzqJtc

I am not sure if I used the extend method or the move/resize. But it'll take you 5 min to merge it once to get the hang of it.

Edit: They just updated the layout last week. So it may look different but it's not, the actual steps should be the same.

Last edited:

Zaedalzayed

Prominent
May 12, 2019
It's a non adjacent partition. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard . I find it is the best program and you can use the free version to resize/merge partitions. Tutorial can be found online or using this video

View: https://youtu.be/9HGLslzqJtc

I am not sure if I used the extend method or the move/resize. But it'll take you 5 min to merge it once to get the hang of it.

Edit: They just updated the layout last week. So it may look different but it's not, the actual steps should be the same.
it just asks me to upgrade when i try to move/resize..

D

Deleted member 14196

Nothing is free in this world and if you want to do what you want to do you’re going to have to pay for it or format the entire drive and install windows fresh to it

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
it just asks me to upgrade when i try to move/resize..

It shouldn't that's wierd. If you look at the version comparison it's under the free version. https://www.partitionwizard.com/comparison.html

Maybe their most recent version they changed it. (they just changed it last week)

Did you try the video tutorial and it still asked you to upgrade? If so, just do the trial. Either way, that software will do it for you. I merged non adjacent partitions just like yours a few weeks back with it.

Last edited:
i tried easeUS but it shows that the hdd is already taking the whole thing and i can't move it to the left.
All your problems are because your disk has been converted to Dynamic. Software versions you're using have problems operating with dynamic disks.

And do not do partition merging/moving without having backup for your data first. This type of operation can end up very badly.

Solution

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
move the healthy recovery partition to the left first.

I know what's the problem. Your disk is dynamic and not a basic disk. The free version does not cover that. It won't size/move volumes. The pro version does. (yours is not a partition but a volume).

If you use the trial it should work.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

Right on! I just caught that his disk is dynamic as well.
👍👍

Zaedalzayed

Prominent
May 12, 2019
I know what's the problem. Your disk is dynamic and not a basic disk. The free version does not cover that. It won't size/move volumes. The pro version does. (yours is not a partition but a volume).

If you use the trial it should work.
Thanks guys. now i know whats the issue.
Trials only preview results unfortunately.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Thanks guys. now i know whats the issue.
Trials only preview results unfortunately.
Sorry to hear that.

Yeah it's a pain. Mine was a basic disk, when I tried numerous programs with no luck I was frustrated. Minitool was the only thing that worked for me, so I know how you feel.

The only solution in this case is to back it up elsewhere and delete it and convert it to a basic disk as @SkyNetRising said.

I hope it's not your windows drive.

Good luck.

Zaedalzayed

Prominent
May 12, 2019
So, i've fixed it and converted to basic then merged them.
Now all the programs on the desktop icons turned white, but they are still in the hard drive.
HjjPpAx.png

not just these..nearly all of them

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
So, i've fixed it and converted to basic then merged them.
Now all the programs on the desktop icons turned white, but they are still in the hard drive.
HjjPpAx.png

not just these..nearly all of them
You'll just have to remap the shortcuts if the destination hasn't been changed.

It's probably an outcome from the conversation to basic. Did you merge the drives using the program I recommended out of curiosity?