[SOLVED] Can't open Razer Synapse or Cortex installers ?

Feb 19, 2022
Yesterday when I opened my PC the razer central was broken and I couldn't open Razer Synapse and Cortex. I tried uninstalling with the instructions from here: How to perform a clean re-installation of Razer Synapse 3 & 2.0 on Windows. When I tried to reinstall the software, the installers weren't opening, they asked for permission but then nothing happened. I even removed razer related registries in the Registry Editor. Still nothing... If you want any additional info, I'm happy to help. My device is a
Razer DeathAdder Essential.

Specs:
Ryzen 5600g,
Msi Mpg B550 Gaming Plus,
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200 MHz Ram,
2tb Toshiba HDD and a 120GB SSD

Colif

Win 11 Master
i assume your user is admin?

could try installing in a clean boot

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it doesn't delete anything, it just stops non microsoft programs running at startup

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

The software is the worst part of Razer. I stopped using them over it.

Feb 19, 2022
i assume your user is admin?

could try installing in a clean boot

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it doesn't delete anything, it just stops non microsoft programs running at startup

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

The software is the worst part of Razer. I stopped using them over it.

Didn't work, same thing happens... Also, thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022
i expect you need to remove all traces, if it won't let you do it, you can always try to delete them in safe mode.
restart might remove them too. Could just be in the cache. flushing ram at start might fix it.

I deleted what was actually related to razer, some files weren't razer related, just with a similar name! Nope it didn't work either, something tells me there are missing dlls in the system, I will probably do a system reset, I'm used to setting computers up over and over, I'm very used to messing around with computers. :rolleyes:
I just remembered something thought. Yesterday I used DupeGuru to find duplicates, maybe it deleted accidentally system files.... I usually rush things up and don't really think before doing things so maybe it was my fault. Anyway, thanks for the help and have a good day kind stranger! Your solution is probably a good one, it's just that my problem is unfixable :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
this can check windows
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Feb 19, 2022
this can check windows
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11
I used SFC before, but it didn't fix much, as for powershell it doesn't even open. It opens for s split second and closes... Something similar happened I think with the razer installer...

Feb 19, 2022
okay, how about a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

all it does is replaces windows, it doesn't remove any of your files or applications.

If that doesn't work, might need to do a clean install to use Razer.

Why do you want it anyway?
Well, I just like it, you might think I'm crazy but I think it's a nice addition, also, will this repair install change anything in my other drives by any chance?

Feb 19, 2022
repair install only touches C drive.

i haven't used central, I was just curious if you used it for anything specific. As if it were say rgb there might have been alternatives.
MANY rgb options, it has support for Philips hue and a lot more. You can choose whether you want Razer Cortex too, which is a very good tool in my opinion! Also, my preferences and saved options will be kept on other programs like steam, Vivaldi Browser etc?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 gets a new version every 6 months or so, the repair install puts the latest version on the PC and you will need to download the cumulative update to get back to current state. It shouldn't touch anything that isn't windows, it should leave settings as is.

there are always chances it fails. But I haven't seen it. I just mention it as its always possible.

Have you seen https://rgbsync.com/wiki/Supported_Devices

Feb 19, 2022
Windows 10 gets a new version every 6 months or so, the repair install puts the latest version on the PC and you will need to download the cumulative update to get back to current state. It shouldn't touch anything that isn't windows, it should leave settings as is.

there are always chances it fails. But I haven't seen it. I just mention it as its always possible.

Have you seen https://rgbsync.com/wiki/Supported_Devices
That's scary, what are some factors that might make it fail?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i shouldn't have said anything. I just said it as there is a small chance anything you do can fail. No matter what it is.

I haven't seen anyone fail this action, I was just being cautionary. If you have other drives, copy any info that is on C off you can't afford to lose. backups are good regardless.

You probably be fine.

Feb 19, 2022
i shouldn't have said anything. I just said it as there is a small chance anything you do can fail. No matter what it is.

I haven't seen anyone fail this action, I was just being cautionary. If you have other drives, copy any info that is on C off you can't afford to lose. backups are good regardless.

You probably be fine.
I don't have any useful information on my C drive other than music and some documents so I don't really worry.