Question Cant overclock ram with xmp button (bios CPU-Z says that i have 1332mhz and but in advanced i have 2133mhz)

Dec 25, 2019
I have a
MSI Z370A-PRO motherboard
Patriot Viper 2x8GB DDR4 PV416G320C6K RAM
I am using dual channel.
For some reason my base frequency and timing is set to 666mhz (15-15-15-36).

and im trying to overclock it. In the BIOS there is a button that says XMP which is the premade profile for overclocking to (3200mhz) and when i save the BIOS after clicking it the pc doesnt boot from then on. Just a black screen. Can anyone help with this?
thanks in advance
ryb4hprn4n641.png

m1wci7Wi61o.jpg

that means the RAM isn't playing nice with your bios - check to see if it's on the QVL list, it may be experiencing errors and reverting back to lower speed. You can always tweak the values manually to get the desired result

check the version of your bios

7B48v28
Release Date
2018-12-17
seems to address some memory issues

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019
that means the RAM isn't playing nice with your bios - check to see if it's on the QVL list, it may be experiencing errors and reverting back to lower speed. You can always tweak the values manually to get the desired result

check the version of your bios

7B48v28
Release Date
2018-12-17
seems to address some memory issues
yes i have that bios version should i update it? and also where can i find the QVL list

Dec 25, 2019
it's a start, can eliminate that as an issue -then you can RMA the RAM if the situation persists
could the problem be in the motherboard? cause i updated the BIOS and when i turn on the pc it gets stuck on the screen "Entering Setup..." in the bottom left corner and the VGA EZ Debug LED is glowing. But when i take out my usb connected headphones it loads the screen and i can enter windows and stuff.