Question Can't reach max FPS in-game with new monitor

Sep 17, 2019
Hello.
First of all I don't understand very much about monitors and neither about these forums so if you need any specific info tell me and where I can find it.
So today I bought a 165 Hz monitor (ASUS VG248QG) and I always played on a 60 Hz monitor. I always had more than 280 FPS in csgo but now I can't reach the number of Hz in FPS with this new monitor. Basically I had almost 300 FPS in games with a 60 Hz monitor and now I can't even reach 160 FPS with a 165 Hz monitor. If I change the Hz to 144, I can't reach 140 FPS.
Could someone explain me how to get those 300 Hz back?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello.
First of all I don't understand very much about monitors and neither about these forums so if you need any specific info tell me and where I can find it.
So today I bought a 165 Hz monitor (ASUS VG248QG) and I always played on a 60 Hz monitor. I always had more than 280 FPS in csgo but now I can't reach the number of Hz in FPS with this new monitor. Basically I had almost 300 FPS in games with a 60 Hz monitor and now I can't even reach 160 FPS with a 165 Hz monitor. If I change the Hz to 144, I can't reach 140 FPS.
Could someone explain me how to get those 300 Hz back?

Turn off Vsync. :) With it on, it'll cap your FPS to your monitors current refresh. Usually it can be turned off in-game &/or you can set it under your GPU's control panel. Also when you set your desktop resolution, Windows may have auto-set the refresh rate to a lower hz than what you want.. Last but not least, your FPS will also heavily depend on your visual settings both in-game as well as in your GPU's control panel. If you recently installed new drivers for your AMD or nvidia GPU, it may have changed some of the settings you had before, which can also effect your in-game performance. (Until you go back in and set everything back to how you want it :) )

Check both and let us know how it goes!

Oh & congrats on the new monitor. 1080p I take it?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019
Turn off Vsync. :) With it on, it'll cap your FPS to your monitors current refresh. Usually it can be turned off in-game &/or you can set it under your GPU's control panel. Also when you set your desktop resolution, Windows may have auto-set the refresh rate to a lower hz than what you want.. Last but not least, your FPS will also heavily depend on your visual settings both in-game as well as in your GPU's control panel. If you recently installed new drivers for your AMD or nvidia GPU, it may have changed some of the settings you had before, which can also effect your in-game performance. (Until you go back in and set everything back to how you want it :) )

Check both and let us know how it goes!

Oh & congrats on the new monitor. 1080p I take it?

Hello! Thank you for the help my friend. Sorry for just replying now. I guess I found the reason why I can't get "those" FPS. I've been searching and I think that the monitor itself locks the in-game FPS depending on the Hz that it's using. For example, if I change the monitor Hz to 60, it'll lock the in-game FPS at 60 and I'll have like 55 FPS, and if I change the monitor Hz to 144, it'll lock the in-game FPS at 144 and I'll have 140. I just don't understand why I get less FPS than the actual Hz number (140 FPS instead of 144) but I think that's okay. Sorry in case you don't understand everything I said, my English isn't the best.
And yes, it's a 1080p monitor (upgraded from 1680x1050p (60 Hz) to 1920x1080p (165Hz)). Thank you!

Edit: I always leave Vsync off, I'm using the Nvidia G-sync

Last edited: