Question Can't Restore my Desktop Shortcuts ?

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
I recently deleted my OneDrive folder because it was taking up a massive amount of space, but it cleared all my desktop shortcuts. I'm trying to get them back, but for some reason, whenever I click "create shortcut" absolutely nothing happens. None of the alternative ways (hold alt and drag to desktop, etc) have worked either.

D

Deleted member 14196

When you set up OneDrive, you told it to store your desktop so now that you’ve deleted it, your desktop short cuts are gone

D

Deleted member 14196

You need to reset your desktop folder to your standard location and not one drive

You didn’t delete the OneDrive application from the system you merely deleted the folder from what you’ve

Colif

Win 11 Master

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
its fairly common now for the desktop shortcuts to be stored on Onedrive

Do you still have a Onedrive folder here? = C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop
If so, move the contents to
Go to the Desktop folder in your OneDrive folder and move the contents to the Desktop folder located at C:\Users\username\Desktop.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s-off-my/a8ea89ef-a5e6-42aa-ae68-eb60f8d5ae56
Ah, yes that is why my desktop content is done. Was not expecting it to be stored in my OneDrive to be honest! It seems Windows has made a new Desktop folder, located outside of OneDrive. And on the topic of OneDrive- is there any way for me to smite it into oblivion? All it does is cause trouble for me.

Dec 31, 2023
Please help, I have this exact same issue, but I deleted OneDrive entirely, including with my Desktop Folder and now I cant restore them because it was on OneDrive and I already unlinked OneDrive and deleted it and its files, now my file explorer has no "Desktop" homebase folder or whatever. Every time I try to make a shortcut for a Steam or epic Games game it just launches the game and doesn't make a shortcut.