[SOLVED] Can't run ATI flash on GPU because it requires 800x600 display resolution ?

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
hi

So i have a gpu that doesnt give any video or gets detected and im thinking its a vbios issue that the previous owner have been tampering with.

I'm currently using Chrome remote but i can only get a 640x480 res and apparently to run ATI flash i need atleast 800x600 so im wondering if anyone knows a way to bypass it somehow or to force the pc to using higher res, when trying to switch res in Windows 10 it is grayed out so i cant switch it?

My gpu is a rx 560 4gb, im flashing it as a last resort otherwise i will sell it as defective, it doesnt have any shorts or faulty components on it and the test system works with several other gpus.

i do have another system which i can use multiple gpus in but idk about flashing it while having more than 1 gpu installed since i dont wanna risk bricking my new Rx 5600xt

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
A gpu that isn't detected? How is a system not able to detect the card then able to flash it? If previous user bricked the card there's nothing you can do with software.

Soldering in another vbios chip if you could get your hands on another faulty card would be the only other way forward. May not be worth your efforts.

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
A gpu that isn't detected? How is a system not able to detect the card then able to flash it? If previous user bricked the card there's nothing you can do with software.

Soldering in another vbios chip if you could get your hands on another faulty card would be the only other way forward. May not be worth your efforts.
well i could get it to be detected before so i just gotta do that again, soldering on another Vbios chip isnt hard, its only 8 pins and put it in the right direction, im not here to be turned down because there is ways you can fix those gpus, im here cuz i need help bypassing the 640x480 res

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Don't know about such bypass or why you would restrict yourself to such a system. Using a normal pc with no resolution restrictions would be an idea.
yeah but i only have 1 pcie slot on that pc and i dont have an APU so i cant get video out unless i use Chrome Remote, and i dont wanna use my main pc which i have 1 gpu in because i dont wanna risk that gpu getting bricked

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
You can flash with external tool or as a secondary GPU in another system, but that only works if the card is getting detected, otherwise external flasher is your only choice.
Replacing a whole chip would work too but it is more hassle.
i think i will test with first an external flash tool or with replacing the vbios chip, im only doing this because i want to get into learning more about fixing gpus, this is my first one so i go great lengths just to get as much knowledge about this stuff as possible so ill try most things

If you will go with snapping another SPI, you do understand it has to be written the correct file first, right?
As for repairs, there are a few techs on this forum that can help with this stuff, as long as you have the tools and relevant background.

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
If you will go with snapping another SPI, you do understand it has to be written the correct file first, right?
As for repairs, there are a few techs on this forum that can help with this stuff, as long as you have the tools and relevant background.
yup i know that, i got tools and all that except when it comes down to specifics like the external bios flash tool etc, im actually a carpenter but im studying programming and i do alot of pc stuff as a hobby, i mod alot but i wanted to go more into repair n stuff because ive done repairs before just not on gpus