[SOLVED] CANT Upgrade from Ryzen 5 1600x to 3600 HELP!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com
---SPECIFICATION (As Detailed As I Can Possibly Go)---

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x (NEW CPU: Ryzen 5 3600)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
Thermal Paste: Hyper 212 MasterGel
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 OC 8GB
Mobo: ASROCK AB350 Pro 4 (Was on BIOS 5.80 now on latest 6.30)
Ram: 4x8GB Kingston HyperXFury DDR4 Black
PSU: Corsair VS650
Case: CiT Raider
SSD (In Thread): Samsung EVO 850 256gb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there everyone,

Had to make a first time post ever here since i have pretty much exercised all options that I can think of. I purchased a 'Ryzen 5 3600' to upgrade my 'Ryzen 5 1600x' and stupidly flashed my BIOS when receiving it today so now I cant go back to the old one and use my old 1600x (Without fear of bricking the board).

I plugged the new cpu in, put everything back together, plugged in ONLY the new 256gb ssd to install a fresh copy of windows, and this machine WILL. NOT. STAY. ON. It hangs, random crashes, freezes, temps are weird? 48ish on idle (does that sound normal)?

Whats weird is that with only 2 sticks of ram in (Slots 1 and 3) the machine seems fine. As soon as i put back in the other 2 it comes up with the windows BSOD (random names every single time)

In the BIOS, the XMP profile is set to the RAMs native speed of 2666MHz. The voltage is Auto (1.2V) and I havent touched anything else. Its like this chip wont work without randomly crashing or hanging or freezing and i keep having to reinstall windows fresh every 20mins (Thank god its an SSD xD).

Any help? Anywhere Im going wrong, I have seen countless others with the same cpu/mobo combo as me and theyre running perfectly fine (Some even run Ryzen 9 series on my mobo!)

Thank You All!

EDIT #1: Hope this is useful information, i keep getting 0xc0000f and various other errors repeating.

Last edited:
Solution
So yeah i guess its stuck at 2133 until i change the mobo :/
Those are merely AMD's officially supported specs for first-gen CPUs that first-gen motherboards were designed for. Plenty of people run first-gen motherboards at much higher speeds than 2133 (2666-2800 was common back then) using either XMP or manual settings, especially on 2nd-gen and newer CPUs which have significantly improved memory controllers.

If you aren't comfortable with manual tweaking then yes, you may be stuck at 2133.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
choose:
one upgrade per socket but easy peasy flashing
several upgrades per socket, but BIOS upgrades must be followed to the letter

I'll take the rare BIOS issue if it lets me keep my board through three upgrades which means more money for GPU's and such.

the downside of AMD is easier to live with than the downside of intel. IMHO

glad to hear it working for you.

InvalidError

Titan
I'll take the rare BIOS issue if it lets me keep my board through three upgrades which means more money for GPU's and such.
If someone needs to upgrade CPUs four times per motherboard, there may be something wrong about the CPUs they are picking... and if they start so low on the CPU ladder that they need to upgrade this many times, I doubt the initial motherboard was something they'd still want to use for a 4th-gen CPU. In Ryzen's case, tons of 300-series and some 400-series motherboards have sub-par memory routing that severely limit stable memory clocks and compatibility.

So you may have hypothetical compatibility across four generations but end up chucking motherboards every other one anyway if you want to get most benefits out of your new CPU.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I understand exactly that and cash allowing I agree.
my perspective was squarely focused on performance per dollar over time.
I just upgraded from a 955 black to a 1500x, I went with AMD for the reasons mentioned above. 200 dollars (RAM, CPU, MOBO) with AMD got me a better machine with more options down the road.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh. Performance per dollar. Something Intel has considered for years, but not really gotten around to implementing with any voracity or alacrity, since some people insist on bragging rights based on paper numbers and will therefore spend the premium dollars to get the premium performance regardless of whether or not said performance is so far in excess of the monitors ability that it becomes moot.