[SOLVED] Case controller has only 3 pin headers, need to use 4 pin fans.

Aug 8, 2019
Hi all
I have this case, it has a case fan controller built in:
https://www.nzxt.com/products/phantom-410-black
All of the headers that come from the controller have 3 pins. I want to use these fans that use 4 pins, and connect them to the controller:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G5I6MRK
Is there any way to do this? I'm assuming there are no negative effects from doing so?
I'm hoping someone knows of either a 3 pin male to 4 pin female adapter or a cable to replace the current one that plugs into the controller, but with 4 pin headers instead of 3 pin headers.
I've not been able to find much in the way of useful information on this.
FYI there are currently 2 3 pin fans plugged into the headers that I'm trying to replace (and add to) as the build should really have had more than 2 fans (and a CPU radiator fan) before now.

Thanks!

Solution
That adapter suggested by extreme-noob will work, although you'll need one for each fan. Four-pin fans have a backwards compatibility feature in their design so that, if one is plugged into a 3-pin fan header using the older Voltage Control Mode they WILL operate and their speed WILL be controlled. That is what the controller module in your case is doing. the problem is not electrical - it is strictly a mechanical problem caused by the way the male output connectors from the controller are made. Thus the adapter with its smaller 3-pin female connector can plug into one of those outputs and provide a wider 4-pin male output to connect one fan to.

As an alternative you can custom modify the smaller 4-pin male output connectors from your...
Aug 8, 2019
I may as well, kinda running out of options atm. This is what all of the fan cables run into (the big white connector):
https://ibb.co/9GGtsnJ
Looks like atm the options are:
Try 3 pin to 4 pin adapter
Use 3 pin fans
Try and use some fan connections on the mb (not really up for that, think if the adapter doesn't work out I'll just get some 3 pin fans)
Thanks very much for the help!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That adapter suggested by extreme-noob will work, although you'll need one for each fan. Four-pin fans have a backwards compatibility feature in their design so that, if one is plugged into a 3-pin fan header using the older Voltage Control Mode they WILL operate and their speed WILL be controlled. That is what the controller module in your case is doing. the problem is not electrical - it is strictly a mechanical problem caused by the way the male output connectors from the controller are made. Thus the adapter with its smaller 3-pin female connector can plug into one of those outputs and provide a wider 4-pin male output to connect one fan to.

As an alternative you can custom modify the smaller 4-pin male output connectors from your controller. See the last pic you gave in your post of 10:28 am. You can see if you turn the female 4-pin connector around so its two ridges along the top align with the tongue of the male shrouded connector, two pins line up BUT the female connector is too wide on only ONE side. Well, if you take a knife and cut away the side of the MALE connector shroud where it is in the way, then you CAN plug them together and that will work.

Solution