[SOLVED] CAT 5e and CAT 6e not exceeding 94Mbps on a 300/300 Mbps connection

Feb 25, 2021
Long story short, When I use the cable provided with the router on any of the LAN ports on my router, i get full 300Mbps speed. I recently got 2 cables, 5e and 6e, and manually connected RJ45 heads on both endings (all 4 pairs) and verified them using a LAN tester, with all 8 working. Irrespective of which cable i use (both around 40-50 meters) i cap at 94Mbps.

The speed is 300Mbps, as achieved with the 2meter long cable that came with the router. Is there a problem with my installation of the RJ45 heads? How do i fix it?
I am following the T-568B RJ45 pinout on both ends, if that matters.

Solution
Did you make these cables or are they pre-terminated? If you terminated them, you did it wrong somehow. If they're pre-terminated, they're fake cable.
He said he terminated both ends.
What tester did you use (link would be fine).

Since you terminated both ends, it is undoubtedly a bad termination. Cut off both ends and redo them. Keep the amount of untwisted wire to a minimum. 568B is the correct color code.

kanewolf

Titan
Did you make these cables or are they pre-terminated? If you terminated them, you did it wrong somehow. If they're pre-terminated, they're fake cable.

Since you terminated both ends, it is undoubtedly a bad termination. Cut off both ends and redo them. Keep the amount of untwisted wire to a minimum. 568B is the correct color code.

Reactions: ChonkyCookie17
Solution
Feb 25, 2021

I bought the tester from a local shop, this is the same model as mine.
I shall retest the connections and see if I missed something.

Feb 25, 2021

UPDATE: Problem solved! I re-did the connectors, turns out one pin was missing from the RJ45 head. Thank you for suggesting this! I was in such a hassle that i forgot the basics : )

Ralston18

Titan
I am reminded of a long ago time when my workplace was dominated by a very non-technical, hated tech CFO type.

Buying network cables, tools etc. was always a messy process: We had to justify to the nth degree why X number of Ethernet cables were needed. Stuff was expensive in those days.

Especially tools and testers.

If we hired 10 new people we got hit with "Why the &^% do we need to order 20 cables....". Stuff like that. (And generally there were many more "&^%$'s" directed our way.)

Due to those reasons and other circumstances we requested cables twice as long as needed (generally a bit less expensive) and that were verified by the manufacturer as being correctly terminated.

Then for our needs we cut the cable in "half" and did our own terminations on the cut end. If the cable did not work we simply re-terminated "our end".

Borrowed crimpers, begged and and borrowed modular plugs....

DIY terminations.

PS: We never got approved for a tester. Rigged up a basic multi-meter breadboard continuity tester with salvaged wall jacks.