[SOLVED] Cat 6 cable works on laptop but not on my desktop PC ?

markg92011

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
I just got a new cat 6e cable for my desktop and it didn’t work so I thought it is faulty but I decided to try it on my laptop and it worked fine. I tried a lot of fixes on the internet and I can’t seem to make it work.

Solution
I
You likely bought a fake cable.

First there is no such thing as CAT6E. You can get cat6 and cat6a. Because copper metal is so expensive they have started to make cables with less copper. Those flat cables have very small wires to use less copper and you also see cable made from CCA rather than pure copper.
Neither of these meets the standards for a ethernet cable.

Fake cables do exactly what you see, they an work on some machine and not others. They can randomly work at different times. The ports in the machines are designed to function with cables that meet the certifications but some port tolerate bad cables better than others.

You could have also just got unlucky and got a defective cable even if it meets the...

First there is no such thing as CAT6E. You can get cat6 and cat6a. Because copper metal is so expensive they have started to make cables with less copper. Those flat cables have very small wires to use less copper and you also see cable made from CCA rather than pure copper.

Fake cables do exactly what you see, they an work on some machine and not others. They can randomly work at different times. The ports in the machines are designed to function with cables that meet the certifications but some port tolerate bad cables better than others.

You could have also just got unlucky and got a defective cable even if it meets the standards.

Make sure you only buy cables that clear state they are pure copper with wire size 22-24. If they do not have that information find another vendor. You need nothing better than cat5e, the so called "cat" name really means nothing the actual certifications are things with long lists of letters and numbers like EIA/TIA.

markg92011

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
I

You could have also just got unlucky and got a defective cable even if it meets the standards.

Make sure you only buy cables that clear state they are pure copper with wire size 22-24. If they do not have that information find another vendor. You need nothing better than cat5e, the so called "cat" name really means nothing the actual certifications are things with long lists of letters and numbers like EIA/TIA.
It says on the bag Model: UTP6e
The vendor is a bit far and I really need the cable today. So it has to be faulty? Is it not something software related that could be fixed since it works on other devices? Thanks for the response

Solution
Even more indication it is a fake. A reputability vendor would know there is no such thing as "6e".

Look at the cable itself it should have markings that tell you at least the wire size. Your generally see 23 AWG on the cable and many time the letters CU indicating it is copper cable. Most valid cables also have the letter EIA/TIA on them.

There are almost no settings for ethernet. You want to leave them all on the defualt options. Changing things when you don't know what you are doing can lead to more issues. The only one that might worth changing is any so called "green/power save" options but most these are disabled by default.

markg92011

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Even more indication it is a fake. A reputability vendor would know there is no such thing as "6e".

Look at the cable itself it should have markings that tell you at least the wire size. Your generally see 23 AWG on the cable and many time the letters CU indicating it is copper cable. Most valid cables also have the letter EIA/TIA on them.

There are almost no settings for ethernet. You want to leave them all on the defualt options. Changing things when you don't know what you are doing can lead to more issues. The only one that might worth changing is any so called "green/power save" options but most these are disabled by default.
Thanks so much I’ll be visiting the vendor today!
Also it says on the cable “199M NETWORK PATCH CAT 6E 24 AWG 4PRETL TIA/EIA-568B