mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I would like to make a switch to turn on/off my network connection. I am thinking just a small hobby box with a toggle switch and two RJ45 plugs or two pigtails to go from my router to the cable modem.

Questions; how many of the 4 wires used in the CAT5 should I run through the switch. Would 1 be enough or 2 be better?
And, would I be seeing any noticable signal loss going through a standard SPST or DPST toggle switch ?

I could get the same results by unplugging a cable but the switch would be easier.

Logic goes away if it is not the first or seemingly obvious answer to a problem. :eek:

Only two of the pairs on the CAT 5 cable are used. 4 wires.

Gotta make sure they are pairs and not 1 half of of one pair etc etc, as this might cause interference.

Make sure you know which ones too. :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Only 2 wires are used but you may skrew up the cat 5 rating as it is kinda picular about some things. Keep your wires short untwisting only what you have to. Depends on your punchdown but on most blue/whiteblue are the wires you will want to switch. If it works great, if not you learned what won't work.

If you see a turtle on top of a fence post,
It's a good bet somebody, put him up there.

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
You will get some noticeable signal loss if the strands of wire are long. If it is a short segment, hopefully it will be good enough. You are usually not supposed to unwrap the twisted pair (which is cat 3 utp and beyond) for more than an inch. hope this helps

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

sturm

Splendid
do u mean just your computer from the rest of the network or block others from using the network? in XP u can have the connetion icon in the sys tray. when u want to disconnect from the network u can just disable or disconnect that nic. to me that would be a lot easier and safer than trying to make a switch. whats everyone else think?

kmerritt

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010